In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old savage 110 twist rate

j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
hi guys,,,had the occasion to pick up a savage 110,,,older model with the birch stock and no checkering for $80.00 off a neighbor,,,wanting to know the twist rate and and the amount of pill i can put through her,,,thank you,,,[:)]

Comments

• Options
    j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh,,,forgot to say it is a .243,,,thanks fellas[:)]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    j3081,

My list indicates that Savage used a 1:10" twist in its older rifles. You should learn to check the twist rate by using a ball bearing cleaning rod with a brush and tight patch just to be sure.

As I posted yesterday, twist rate is actually determined by bullet length not the weight. However, there are lists of bullet weights that are generically related to twist rate. This example is from Shilen the barrel makers:

6mm/.243

8" Special for VLD bullets over 100 gr.
    10" For bullets up to 120 gr. and VLD under 100 gr.
    12" For bullets up to 85 gr.
    13"* For bullets up to 75 gr.
    14"* For bullets up to 70 gr.
    15"* Special for bullets up to 70 gr.

Best.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For $80 I wouldn't worry about it. But I've found they work fine with standard 100 grain bullets but I haven't tested the newer plastic tipped bullets in one of the older 110's.