In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

vintage lyman's no. 1 rear sight value?

Turbo72Turbo72 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a vintage Lyman's No. 1 flip up rear sight for a winchester model 90. On the sight it says Pat.Oct.20/03. Anybody have an idea of how old it is and how much it is worth?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Are you absolutely sure of the Patent date?

The Lyman No. 1 tang sight (first variation) has a Patent date of January 28, 1879.

The second variation No. 1 tang sight was patented May 6, 1884, and will have both the first and second patent dates on it.

The No. 1A (third variation) was patented July 25, 1905.

The Patent date you mention may be for a Marbles tang sight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only patent date i see on the sight is PAT.Oct.20/03. On the other side of the sight base it says M.S.A. CO. Gladstone, MICH. U.S.A. The box it was in says Lyman,s Pat. Comb Rear Sight No. 1 For Winchester Repeater, Model '90. This sight was from some of my grandfathers stuff so i dont know much about it but i asumed it was the correct sight for the box.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Turbo72
    The only patent date i see on the sight is PAT.Oct.20/03. On the other side of the sight base it says M.S.A. CO. Gladstone, MICH. U.S.A. The box it was in says Lyman,s Pat. Comb Rear Sight No. 1 For Winchester Repeater, Model '90. This sight was from some of my grandfathers stuff so i dont know much about it but i asumed it was the correct sight for the box.

OK, the mystery is solved... you have a Marbles tang sight that someone put in a Lyman box.

M.S.A. Co. is Marbles Safety Axe Company, and that marking was used from 1903 through 1911. Marbles changed their company name to "Marble Arms and Mfg. Co." in late 1911. If it has a "W9S" or "W9" application code on the bottom side of the sight base, it was intended for a Model 1890 or 1906. If it has a different application code, post it, and I will look it up for you. The value depends on what make & model it is coded for, and the condition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, the code stamped on the bottom says "M2". The sight in my opinion is in very good condition with no rust or pitts and blueing looks next to new.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, the code stamped on the bottom says "M2". The sight in my opinion is in very good condition with no rust or pitts and blueing looks next to new.

"Old Gunsights" by Stroebel, identifies your sight as being for the Marlin Model 1894 that is chambered for revolver cartridges, i.e. .32-20, 44-40 etc.

I always had the best luck in finding "real world", ( high dollar ) value for these kind of sights, over on fleabay. Since they have changed their policy regarding firearms accessories, I don't know if sights are still allowed on their auction, though?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

"Old Gunsights" by Stroebel, identifies your sight as being for the Marlin Model 1894 that is chambered for revolver cartridges, i.e. .32-20, 44-40 etc.

I always had the best luck in finding "real world", ( high dollar ) value for these kind of sights, over on fleabay. Since they have changed their policy regarding firearms accessories, I don't know if sights are still allowed on their auction, though?

They are still allowing them on fleabay... at least at this time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for your help in identifying this sight. Appreciate it. Maybe if i do decide to sell it I will give "fleabay" a try.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for your help in identifying this sight. Appreciate it. Maybe if i do decide to sell it I will give "fleabay" a try.

If I may make a suggestion, please consider listing it here on Gunbroker.com. fleabay is blatantly anti-second amendment, and as such, they deserve to make NO $$$ from those of who stridently support the right to own and bear firearms!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Sir for your advice and help with this sight & I will definitely do that when i get ready to sell it. I have never sold anything on gun broker, I have only bought items, so it will be new to me.