In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester model 12 timing

duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
How do you time a model 12???

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    How do you time a model 12???

Well, you first need two people. Person # 1 needs to have an accruate timepiece. Person # 2 must be proficient in the proper operation of the world's finest hammerless slide-action shotgun.

Next, have # 2 fully load the gun (3 shells).

Have # 1 ready to start his timepiece, then instruct # 2 fire all (3) rounds as fast as he can cycle the action. If the time to empty the gun exceeds 1/2 second, consider the test a failure[;)][:D]

Seriously, I do not believe that there is any way to "time" a Model 1912/12 short of replacing worn parts.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm with you Bert, never herd of that one.
    W.D.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got seven(or eight they seem to mulitiply) model 12s, shot them all my life and this is the first time I have heard anything of timing them. Please explain further what you mean.
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My model 12's run best about 7* BTDC
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning duckhunter: Lets face it some Md 12s are 95 years young and some are only 44 years young and a lot inbetween, (pre-64s)!!

Some people call it timing, but I do not feel that's accurate. The three most common problems with a well used Md 12 are head space, bolt droop, and the overall funtion of the trigger gurard assy, during cycling. When all three problems are occuring at once, the gun will not always function as designed. (that does not mean it wont fire).

So I will ask you, what is your Md 12 doing, that you don't think it should be? can you explain the "symptoms?

Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for your ideas. Need to find a stopwatch. With the gun unloaded and the bolt open , pull the triger and slowly close the bolt. The hammer will fall before the bolt is fully closed. I have several other 12's and the hammer will not fall until the bolt is fully closed. Thanks again for any ideas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi duckhunter: Well now that you've told me the problem, here's the fix, on the hammer, left side is a nub, the action release lever has a hook, one or both of these is worn.

Not uncommon to have to replace the hammer, action release lever, hammer spring etc as these guns wear. IMO it might not be a bad idea to have the bolt looked at too. Replacing the left and right extractors and springs, along with the firing pin retractor.

If you open your action, you will see a recess cut into the top of the receiver, check to see if there is a ridge from the rear of the bolt "beating the back of the recess". If there is a ridge, the gun has seen heavy loads and or been used a lot. Depending on how bad it is, it may not be cost effective to do any work on it.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    only winchesters,
    You sir, are good. Nice job with the help for this man.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your welcome duckhunter, hopefully you can get it fixed to shoot more greenheads! TY garanch, it helps when you've been shooting them for 40+ years! LOL.

Regards to all

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got my first model 25 in 1952. Still have the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Duckhunter: the following places have the expertise, tools and most importantly the parts to rebuild trigger guard assy's and bolts.

www.wrightsgunsmiths.com Pinkneyville, IL

www.nulineguns.com Rhineland, Missouri

www.simmonsguns.com Olathe, KS

Regards Dave