In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ANOTHER shipping Question...

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
...Other post reminded me.

... My PO has some real decent gun-nuts..never a problem at my PO.
...A friend in an em to me yesterday siad I should ck out UPS (there in lies the "idiot" problem!) that they might be cheaper shipping a long gun than my PO..because the PO rate per pound is more than UPS.

Said USPS had a flat rate now for a long gun (never knew you had to "tell them that the box contained a gun..though rather obvious [:D]) of $30 bucks!? I have not shipped a gun since the rate increases awhile back, so don't know if this is true or not, sounds like BS to me...never used the dolts at UPS anways.

...The comment came up when I mentioned I had just got thru checking zips from all four corners of the US thru the USPS site to get a ball park for shipping a bunch of C & R rifles Im fixin (FINALLY!) to sell...and have no idea exactly where they will be going, reason for a ball park figure. Seems that around $25 would be fair to charge buyer from what I found on the USPS site for the size box and weight. Of course I'll have $7 bucks in each guns packing box/popcorn and bubble, but no biggie.

Anyone know if UPS charges less per pound than USPS? The "$30 flat rate" at USPS?? Thanks guys!...[;)]

...and anyone that might be interested in seeing a list of what I'll be listing is welcome to em for "preview" descriptions...[8D]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Bhogie.gif

Comments

• Options
    NOTPOSTALNOTPOSTAL Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The post office has priority flat rate boxes but they do not have a long gun flat rate.
  • Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    Colt,
    I have no (idiot) problem with UPS here (Abilene), but I am sure it is the clerks. They have no problem with firearms. But I have never used USPS.

Here is one for you though. I ship handguns via FedEX. The UPS depot that I use for long guns is 15 miles away for me. Anyway DHL opened a location right next to FedEx at the airport. I decided to try them with long guns to see if they were even close to UPS on the price (if they were it would save me alot of time).

I took two rifles in and was quoted a decent price, no problems when I told them that they were firearms. I shipped them, got my tracking numbers and headed home. I tracked one of them 2 days later and the rifle was in Memphis, Tenn.. The next day I get home to find a message to call the DHL shipping depot. When I called the lady she said that the rifles were back at her place and I needed to come pick them up. Some idiot (intercepted them in Memphis and called our local office and told her "Federal Law prohibits us from shipping firearms". I did not even try to enlighten the clerk, she had no say in the matter anyway. Oh well, stupidity lost them some business. No wonder they are not taking off very well.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal law requires that you notify UPS/Fedex that your package contains a firearm. DHL does not ship firearms; that is corporate policy, not any law.

There can be substantial differences in shipping charges depending upon the size of the package, the weight of the package, & the specific destination. Any given package can be cheaper or more expensive when comparing shippers, so there is no blanket rule. Regardless of cost, I usually ship USPS whenever possible, as UPS/Fedex require all firearms be shipped from a company customer counter (not a packing store or Kinko's), & their terminals are a long drive from my house.

Another consideration is that UPS/Fedex have a maximum insurance payout of $500. Yes, they will accept your money for higher insurance, they just won't pay more than $500 if you file a claim.

Neal
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ,,,,My post office wont ship a pkg if you tell them it contains a gun,,,,go figure
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spookster- you need to go to UPS.com, and pull the postal regs on mailing firearms. YES, they DO mail firearms. Yes, needs to involve a FFL holder. Most postal clerks have NO idea what their own regs are. Regs specifically prohibit postal staff from interpreting regs or law on this. And folks at MY PO are good to work with.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Spookster- you need to go to UPS.com, and pull the postal regs on mailing firearms. YES, they DO mail firearms. Yes, needs to involve a FFL holder. Most postal clerks have NO idea what their own regs are. Regs specifically prohibit postal staff from interpreting regs or law on this. And folks at MY PO are good to work with.

You mean USPS.com, right?

Anyway, here's my experience:
    Federal law states, or so I understand it, that a gun owner without a FFL may send a gun to a FFL holder for "repair" purposes and the FFL holder may return it to that same person. "Repair" being loosly interpreted to mean engraving, trigger and action work, warranty work, factory enhancements or repair, or any other service, I suppose. I did this when I sent my Ruger MK I .22 pistol back to Ruger for reconditioning. I sent it via UPS and they returned it the same way. However, when I took the box to UPS, they told me that because I was sending a gun, I was required to send it via their overnight service with a morning delivery (special handling service), which jacked the price right up their quite a bit. When Ruger returned the gun to me, no special handling was used.

I was told by the US Postal Service that they would not ship my gun, or any gun, period. Your post tells me otherwise, so next time I will try them. Most average pistols and revolvers will fit in the USPS Flat Rate Box, which ships Priority Mail (1-3 day delivery) and measures diminsionally in inches, approximately 11.0L x 8.5W x 5.5D. The USPS furnishes the box and the cost is $8.50 to $9.50 or something real close to that amount.

Thanks for your information. It's good information to know.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...The PO WILL ship longuns for a non-FFL holder as long as you produce a copy of the FFL with an address matching that on the box, period. If ANYONE one runs into a problem w/the PO trying to tell you they do not ship guns, call for the PO Inspector. As I said, my PO folks are gun-nuts and know the regs, never a problem.

A HANDGUN is a different story, w/o a copy of the appropriate FFL, the PO will not ship it period. You have an 01 (or other "appropriate" one), no problem and the cheapest safestway to go is USPS IMO.

...ALL other carriers to my knowledge require all handguns to be sent overnight, $$$$. I was told that mainly this is the rule so that the handgun is "out there" for less tme exsposed to theft or being lost...I think it's just another BS way for them to make $$$ myself, but it does have a ring of common sense to it...[:D]

Yes, one can send a handgun to a company for enhancements/repairs etc...but the company surely does have one of the several types of FFLS, and you will need a copy (or I always have) to take to the carrier when you ship it. Yes, the company can then send said gun directly back to your door...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Bhogie.gif
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf.,

If you don't have an FFL, you CANNOT ship handguns via the USPS. You CAN ship long guns and shotguns but NO handguns. Read the rules and regulations.

As spookster points out, you really need to go the the USPS website and print out their regulations. This is imperative before you start making decisions about what to ship with which company and applies to all three shippers. Know the rules for each and have an annotated copy of their rules when you go to ship firearms. As far as the USPS is concerned, the counter folks are not the experts so if they tell you something that is incorrect, politely and simply ask to speak with the postmaster. If the postmaster hesitates, take out your copy of the rules and show the appropriate passages to him or her. Some folks have their own agenda and attempt to circumvent the rule and substitute their own. When shown the rules, they usually cooperate.

Best.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning everyone: It's early (5:19 AM, only on my second cup of coffee, LOL) but if I read some of these posts right, they don't seem accurate.

One, if you are the legal owner of a firearm, (rifle, shotgun) and you want to send it back to the factory for repair, upgrade etc) such as Remington, Browning, Rugar etc. or to a Gunsmith, for a trigger job, choke tubes, barrel job etc. You do not need to provide a copy of the receivers FFL. (Remington, Browning, Rugar wont send you a copy of their FFL). A private gunsmith, all you need is some proof to show the clerk,if your asked, that the receiver has an FFL, A copy of a web page, any form of advertisement, etc.

If you sell a firearm, and your going to mail it, you need a copy of the receivers FFL for a couple of reasons: 1) You have to mail the gun to an FFL or C&R (if applicable) this copy provides the address the firearm is being sent too, and proof the receiver, is leagally allowed to accept firearms. 2) It's your record of proof down the line that you disposed of the firearm legally. IE: if the gun in question is ever involved in a crime, you can show the LEO's that you sent the gun to a certain FFL or C&R for legal transfer to a new owner. (Here I recommend you write on the copy, make, model, and S/N, and file it away).

When I started doing more and more mailing, I went to my local P.O. and asked to talk with the Post Master, I told him what I was going to do, and asked if we were going to have "problems"? Then I introduced myself to several clearks, told them the same thing. Now when I go in with my "long package", insure it, pay my fees it's a real piece of cake.

Through the USPS you can buy up to $5000 worth of insurance. I send all items Priority Mail, my packages usually weigh in about 8-12 lbs, I can ship coast to coast on the average for $32. with insurance of $1000 or less. Now depending on the value, insurance becomes cheaper if you send it Registered about the $1700-$1800 level.

All FFLs and C&Rs are issued to an individual period. IE Joe Smith, the Business name also appears on the FFL or C&R such as Joe's Gun and Pawn, Joes Gunshop, Joes Sprorting goods etc etc. When I address my package it's too: Joe Smith C/O Joes
    When ever possible I try not to use "Gun Shop" "Gun and Pawn" etc simply because I don't want to bring any more attention to the package than necessary. However, when returning to the factory, Remington, Browning etc. it's unavoidable.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry- I DID mean USPS.com- long day. Link to Postal Service regs- note that handguns are mailable ONLY by an 01 dealer, or manufacturer. Rifles and shotguns CAN be mailed. Read the regs, print a copy, POLITELY show to clerk. http://www.net-ffl.com/pub52_43.html