In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of a 1911A1

rhossackrhossack Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington Rand .45 and wanted to know the value of such
a gun and also what were the original grips like. This gun has
homemade grips and I'd like to get it back to original.

What is strange about this gun (stamped Army) is when I removde the
grips there was a note with a USMC 2nd Lt, name address.

A special thanks to Neal Myers who sent me an 'easy to post pic instructions' so hopefully the pics show up.

RemRand04.jpg?t=1193884201

RemRand03.jpg?t=1193884306

RemRand02.jpg?t=1193884388

RemRand01.jpg?t=1193884469

Comments

• Options
    JackiePapersJackiePapers Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anybody see the pictures???
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me neither.

rhossack, please read the sticky near the top of the first page of this forum. Before you hit the POST key, press the PREVIEW key to see if your photos will show up; if they don't show then, they won't show when you POST.

Neal

NOW we're getting somewhere! The grips you want for a late (3rd type) R-R are Keyes Fibre "late style" with narrow rings around the screw holes, K inside a 5 pointed star, & cross-shaped ribs.

But, I still can't see enough to tell if it is all original. We need to know what the barrel looks like (inside, outside, all markings). We need to see close-ups of small parts (hammer, safety, main spring housing). We also need to know if there is "burnishing"; i.e., if bare metal shows in the inspectors initials when viewed with 10x magnification, & if the grip screw bushing stake marks are bright (when viewed from inside the mag well). You may need a "hands on" inspection from someone who is familiar with this type gun.

Also, check out photos at:
    http://www.model1911a1.com/
    http://www.coolgunsite.com/

Neal
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I tried viewing them using the properties link and got "access denied".
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...JUST THE RED x PIZZA BOXES [:D] Probably the 1911A1 (?) if WWII gun.

...I would suspect since it is a Rem Rand, we are talking WWII era Colt. All original except grips? If Parked, what percentage is left?
    Dinged bad or deep scratches? Bore condition? Any pitting or rust ANYWHERE? You've stripped it down all the way to the bones to check the wear on parts and to see that they are at least period correct? Lots of wwII's were re-arsenaled snd so stamped.

Original grips could have been the Colt brown plastic, the correct name for them escapes me at the moment...but they had a raised circular ring around the hole where the screw went. They could hsvr been Keeys (sp/ck)
    Keeye (sp/ck)walnut usually with painted rack numbers on them.

Uusually w/o the DBL diamond, just checkered. MSH have a lanyard loop? Flat or arched MSH? US Property (I'd suspect) or Government Model on the slide?

...As you can see,LOT more info is needed for you to obtain some help with your gun.

...Without pics and (see sticky at tpo of page on how to post pics) impossible to identify and to give ball park price.

...Could be from $1,200 to $2,000 depending on a number of variables..[;)]

Bhogie.gif

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Read it and thought I was following the instructions but obviously
    I'm thick headed and the pics are not being displayed.

quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Me neither.

rhossack, please read the sticky near the top of the first page of this forum. Before you hit the POST key, press the PREVIEW key to see if your photos will show up; if they don't show then, they won't show when you POST.

Neal
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks spider ... I believe they are now viewable.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Thumb safety,trigger,grip safety appear correct, as all else I can see except the grips and grip screws,easily enough changed. IF all except those are correct.NICE looking Rand! If the Park is as good as it looks in the pic, $1,200-2,000 wouldn't be unreasaonable....the $2,000 would be on the "high" side of my offer for sure though; appears to be an honest $1,500 Rem Rand. Check all the sharp edges to amke sure they remain sharp, if rounded, could be one sign the gun was buffed for re-finish. Check the internals!!
    Check the letters and numbers for "cupping", another sign of buffing for a re-finish.

...NICE FIND! Not odd for a soldier to place his name on a tag under the grips once the gun was issued for carry during the time this gun was in service.

...If all original BUY it, unless the guy wants his first born for it. If not re-parked, it does not appear to have been issuesd, too good condition. A VERY nice example of an A1 and HARD and pricey for ones in this condition...[^]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Bhogie.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by COLT
    >..Thumb safety,trigger,grip safety appear correct, as all else I
    >can see except the grips and grip screws,easily enough changed. IF
    >all except those are correct.NICE looking Rand!

Thanks ...

>If the Park is as good as it looks in the pic, $1,200-2,000
    >wouldn't be unreasaonable....the $2,000 would be on the "high"
    >side of my offer for sure though; appears to be an honest $1,500
    >Rem Rand.

Actually the park is better than the pic displays.

>Check all the sharp edges to amke sure they remain sharp, if
    >rounded,could be one sign the gun was buffed for re-finish. Check
    >the internals!! Check the letters and numbers for "cupping",
    >another sign of buffing for a re-finish.

All original ....sharp edges. No cupping on the numbers or letters.

>...NICE FIND! Not odd for a soldier to place his name on a tag
    >under the grips once the gun was issued for carry during the time
    >this gun was in service. ...If all original BUY it, unless the guy
    >wants his first born for it. If not re-parked, it does not appear to
    >have been issuesd, too good condition. A VERY nice example of
    >an A1 and HARD and pricey for ones in this condition...

I've owned it for about 15 years or so. Took it in trade. The party
    also had a Singer A1 and we tossed coins to see who got which gun.
    I lost on the Singer <G>
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Nice looking pistol during WW 1 some pistols were marked U.S. NAVY and the USMC also had some serialed numbered lots. However nothing to worry about with a WW II pistol marked U.S. ARMY and belonging to the USMC. Inspector mark FJA is Lt. COL F.J.Atwood.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I don't think it's a refinish. Notice the barely visible circle above the word "PROPERTY"? Doesn't that circle line up with the protective leather covering on the brass snap-closure on the USGI holster? I imagine refinishing would have eliminated that "ghost ring". Joe