In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Teaching my son to shoot

rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
My son will be 7 soon. I know this is young for a shooter, but I want to be able to teach him as soon as I think he's ready. I was 7 when my Father bought me my first Red Ryder BB gun. It just dawned on me today that he will have to be 18 before I can take him to the gun range. I can start him shooting BB's anytime I like. I checked with the Illinois State Police FOID, and I can co-sign for him, to get him his card, at any age. The Illinois Law states "anyone under 21 needs a co-signer of a parent, or legal guardian to obtain a valid FOID card". So that means I can get him the card today if I like. All the shooting ranges in my area say they need a valid FOID card, and must be 21, or 18 with a licensed parent or guardian to enter. I'm sure my son will be able to handle a .22 when he's a teenager. Does anyone know if its a law about having to be 18 to shoot in Illinois, or is it just the range rules?

Rameleni1

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Range rules.....I live in Illinois and my children have tagged along with me to the range since age three. I started them out with BB guns, slings shots etc.

At age 8 they were allow to fire a .22 for the first time on the range. They both are avid shooters and my oldest now hunts with me.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it's just range rules anymore. Illinois is starting to enforce certain things that have been on the books for awhile. For example you used to be able to look at a gun or accompany a FOID card holder in the range without one yourself. Where I shoot they've stopped the practice--they'd let it go, but it's not worth the risk of losing their business. Check with the ISRA or the ISP for any clarification.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this whole FOID thing sounds like a great way to know who has the guns when it comes time to disarm the general populace.MOVE TO VERMONT
  • Options
    BushobiBushobi Member Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remelini1..when they start getting curious, which they all do, that's the time to start teaching..SAFETY AND PROPER HANDLING FIRST., even when they use the toy guys teach the ten commandments..Ive been teaching my kids since they began walking..take them to the range, let them see what a firearm can do..a gallon of colored water in a milk jug is very impressionable...just remember we all learn at a different pace...my son, now 20, has been shooting since he was 3..his biggest problem was thinking I would be disappointed if he couldn't shoot as well as me..but Ive been shooting over 45 years..start small and work up..there is a lot of shooting games using air rifles and BB guns which will help him master the fundamentals...Shooting is a great family sport..
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think its ok with State law but check with local laws,your son sounds as if hes ready and lucky to have his father pass this great tradition along.In VA the Governor sighned a law stating that State Law will Supercede over any local laws.Meaning we have the right to carry concealed,but some County's and towns had there own laws.Now the law is the same every where in the State a Town or City has to Honor State law.I wish it were that way every where.

Good Shooting!!

Rugster
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Am glad to here that you are taking an intrest in your son, I am 65 years old and have no use for your generation.
  • Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the people protecting your rights are in "my generation". I would try and make more friends.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    ramelini1, Good for you teaching your son to shoot!! It's up to "THIS GENERATION" to carry on the shooting sports and the ones we're teaching today will be the teachers in the future! I have no idea wht that comment from "Chuck" meant. At first look it is the stupidest post I've ever read here and I've read a few and posted a few! Maybe he would enlighten us as to what he meant! When you take your son out, make it fun by using reactive targets like plastic bottles filled with water, balloons, or those spinner type targets. Sometimes it's hard to get them fired up punching holes in paper but some of the other targets really get them going! Wait till he shoots his first groundhog if you really want to see excitement!! GHD
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I started both my kids when they turned 8 years old with a .22 remington model 510 my dad bought me when I was a kid. What a thrill to see them enjoy the rifle I did so many years back. That rifle is 48 years old now and I hope one day my grandkids will get to shoot it! Kids can shoot here in Texas as long as an adult is with them till the age of 18.
    Glad you are going to take the time to teach your kids!!
  • Options
    TIREMAN1TIREMAN1 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey i am a 14 year old but i shoot skeet and am in it big i have over $3,500 only in my shotgun but ne way ur topic i learned how to shoot with a bb gun but if strip the sights off and through a ping pong ball on the groung with no sights it teaches them to not use the sights which lets them shoot better becouse they dont have to worry about sighting in the gun and not mattering what kind of sights is on the gun weather it be rifle sights a bead or double beads he will be able to shoot any thing but if you do teach him with the sights then teach him to hold both eyes open and if he complains about seeing two barrels then put tape on his saftey glasses so that he can not see the end of the barrel that will fix his double vision trust me it works becouse whenever you pay $400 a day for shooting lessons and shooting in long range rifle shoots (1000 yrds.), short range 22 shoots and skeet shoots you will learn well that is all the information i know but good luck teaching you're son and remember the saftey rule tireman1

p.s.:at www.remington.com you can make him take a test which has the 10 commandments of shooting