In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GUN SOLVENT RECEIPE

TIREMAN1TIREMAN1 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
I WAS GIVEN A RECEIPE FOR GUN CLEANING SOLVENT AT THE SKEET RANGE AND WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH IT. I SHOOT APPROX. 600 ROUNDS PER MONTH AND DO A LOT OF CLEANING.THIS WILL BE USED FOR CLEANING O/U AND AUTO SHOTGUNS. THE INGREDIENTS ARE 1 PART PAINT THINNER, 1 PART KEROSENE, 1 PART ACETONE, AND 1 PART DEXTRON TRANSMISSION FLUID. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT WORKS, IS THERE SOMETHING BETTER (OTHER THAN STORE BOUGHT SOLVENT), CAN IT BE STORED IN A PLASTIC CONTAINER (SINCE SHOTGUN CLEANER SHOULD BREAKDOWN PLASTIC). ANY INPUT APPRECIATED.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I probably would not use it. At the very least be careful, that stuff will take the finish right off your favorite sxs.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,275 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the formula for Ed's Red and it is supposed to be pretty good.

"Not as deep as a well, or as wide as a church door, but it is enough."
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't sound too bad, but would decrease the amount of Acetone.

He Dog is correct that this could effect the finish.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As allen griggs has already informed you, this is the "Ed's Red" formula --- slightly modified by the addition of the paint thinner.

It is a old formulation ---- but a very good one. As an old geeser, it is the one I tend to use most often.

Two things: 1. Keep it in a glass container such as a "Mason" jar, the solvents in it will work on plastic. 2. Keep it off the stock and forearm, it will do a number on the finish. (Normally not a problem as the barrel set is taken off for cleaning.

Best Regards To You And Yours
  • Options
    TIREMAN1TIREMAN1 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD INPUT. I'LL KEEP IT ALL IN MIND.
  • Options
    lokdok1lokdok1 Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This sounds like what I've been looking for, re. my post in the general forum "Wolf ammo". I was looking for a "dunk tank" type cleaner recipe.Maybe I'll tone down the acetone and paint thinner a bit, should be okay for 1911 parts, what about composite CZs?
    Thanx!

Bartman

Edited by - lokdok1 on 07/27/2002 23:06:55
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello locdoc1:

It will work well on metal parts. I can't say about composites, I have always been afraid to try it against any plastic. For plastics, I use "Simple Green" full strength---right out of the bottle. It is water soluble, and can be worked with bare-handed -- no need for rubber gloves. Normally you can find it at any "Lowe's" or "Home Depot" stores.

Best Regards To You And Yours
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used that mixture and it is good for powder fouling but not very good on copper or leading.If you use about a quarter tube of Lee Case Lube per gallon it will prevent rust for an extended period.
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont know much about the shotgun thing but i use a mixture of 2 parts gumout carb cleaner and 1 part marvels mystery oil to clean the barrels of my rifles. the stuff works great.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Simple Green ROCKS!!
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    1 big bottle of Hoppes #9 and 5555 strokes.....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    If you can get past the smell, military surplus bore cleaner (the white milky kind) has always worked well for me.