In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

info on winchester model 55 lever action

hunter92hunter92 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
My father left me a winchester model 55 lever action rifle.
It says to the left of the sight, model 55- winchester nickel steel- 30w.CF.
It has a 7 digit serial number starting 107638-
It is a side load.
ANY info would be appreciated! history, value,age or year manufactured?
I've been having trouble finding info on it.
Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle is either a 53 or 65. I suspect it's the 53 because of the barrel marking. Is or was the barrel painted?
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I SEEM TO REMEMBER SELLING AN AS NEW, MODEL 55 WINCHESTER LEVER ACTION IN 32SPEC AROUND 1983/1984 FOR $750.00 IT WAS THE ONLY ONE I EVER SAW IT WAS BASICLY THE SAME AS A MOD 94 AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER JUST A LOT MORE VALUABLE DUE TO SCARCITY, WISH I COULD REMEMBER MORE AND BE MORE POSITIVE ON THE MOD 55 DESIGNATION BUT THAT WAS A FEW YEARS AGO
  • Options
    schintzieschintzie Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello hunter92,

In the early 1920's, Winchester made the decision to replace the model 1894/94 rifle, which was available with numerous special order options, with the model 55, which incorporated the most popular special order features as standard. The model 55 initially included the extra lightweight barrel, half magazine, the shotgun butt plate, and the takedown feature. It was at first serial numbered into it's own sequence starting with serial number "1". For various reasons, it sold poorly compared to the model 94, so to conceal this fact, Winchester began to serial number them into the model 94 sequence. Your model 55 is one of these. They were available in the same caliber's as the 94's of the same time period (.30wcf, 32win. Spcl., .25-35wcf.). .30wcf was by far the most common. They were introduced in 1924 and production continued until 1932, with a few manufactured after that year. A solid frame (non-takedown) version was introduced later in production, and while these are less common, the takedown models are valued slightly higher. In approximately eight years of production, only around 20,500 model 55's were produced. Winchester later replaced the model 55 with the model 64, which was a better seller, but was still not as popular as the original model 94.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for your responses about my model winchester 55!!
    I really appreciate the feedback. It's very interesting that it's in kind of a gap of history.
    I think the closest I've seen that looks like it is the model 53. When I looked online because the tube under the barrel barely protrudes the stock. On one of the responses from Tommy@winchesterway.com I looked at his site and saw the model 53 which looks like it.
    Thanks everybody! look forward to more
    Regards,
    Joshua
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By the way the thanks for the response also from v32 he was on the money with it looking like the model 53.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The 32 WCF is the 32-20 that was made on the 1892 action which was also used on models 53 & 65. It is a much smaller cartridge than the 32 Winchester Special which was made on the '94 action. The '94 is a larger action that was also used on the models 55 and 64.
    Your rifle action should have two locking lugs, one on each side at the rear of the breech bolt.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    a model 53 is similar to a model 92...no long cartrdges it came in 25-20 32-20 or 44-40 and I would swear i had one that was 38-40 though it isn't listed in the book...

the 55 is the same action as a model 1894 0r 94 in 25-35, 30-30 (30 wcf) or 32 win special
    based on that I would say yours is the model 55 the value depends on condition options ect
    early serial numbers were in sequence with the 1894 after about #2800
    but I will defer to Bert for the actual year it was made ( the number you provided makes it too early for the years the gun was made)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The 32WCF marking threw me off. Cartridge marking should be 32 Win Spl. According to your pictures you have a Model 55 rifle in 32 Winchester Special caliber.
    There were 20,000 made between 1924 and 1932 making it fairly rare.
    My catalog shows values range between $350 for a 10% gun to $1875 for a 100% gun. Original finish is very important in establishing value on guns so don't remove any in cleaning it up.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial number 107638* was manufactured circa 1932. As previously stated, the Model 55 was introduced to be a replacement for the Model 94 Sporting Rifle variant (in 1924). Winchester discontinued the Sporting Rifle variant in 1924 (though some were still made on special order up to 1929). Initially, the early Model 55s had their own serial number range, but very shortly (after about the first 5000 were made), Winchester began serializing them along with the Model 94 Sporting Carbines. As mentioned by schintzie, the Model 55 was short-lived, and was replaced by the Model 64 in 1933. Actual values are a bit higher than those previously mentioned, but like all Winchesters, the collector value is predicated by the exact graded condition and factory originality.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry for my error. In your initial post I read 30WCF as 32WCF which
    would identify the gun as a model based on the '92 action.