In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 52

brannigansbrannigans Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am researching this Winchester Model 52 serial number 39687 which appears to be original finish but has a added handle grip metal plate and a wood cheek rest. My intent is to learn more before selling. Gun is in excellent shape and has a Wm. Malcolm scope serial number 5461 and what I believe it the original strap. Do the grip plate and and cheek rest enhance or reduce the guns value? Any information on the gun and scope is appreciated. Here are images

win-model-52.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester model 52 serial number 7. I have been told this could be an early prototype, one of ten used in a national match or the first run of shipped rifles. No one seems to know the details of this early group of model 52s.
    Thanks,
    Brannigan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a winchester model 52 .22LR heavy barrel and heavy target stock. it has a marble-goss precision peep sight. serial # is 17607 which indicates it date of manufacture is 1930-1931. I'ts in tip top
    condition. Anyone know what it's worth?
    Thanks to all
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Mod.52. It has a Ser. # 43XX & made in 1926. All I can find is info on Mod. 52A-B-C=D's. Mine only has a 52. Also the gun is in excellent shape. The stock is nicely checkered but I don't know if that is original. Any Idea what it is worth. tony
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need a complete bolt assembly for a Winchester 52. My gun has no letter designation and has a low serial number 5xxx. I have looked everywhere and can find nothing.
    James
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle is one of the first sample batches of 52's (designated GR22R's made in 1919) used by Lt Col. Townsend Whelen for the American Team at the Caldwell Matches. This team consisted of twenty shooters. The earliest known serial numbered 52 is #3 which resides at the Cody Firearm Museum. Whelen wrote to Winchester about receiving the first sample, serial #4.

Herbert Houses book "The Winchester 52, Perfection in Design" has photos of Edwin Pugsley holding serial #8, and photos of serial #5 & #6 from the John Bastiani collection.

What you have is a highly collectible piece of history. I'd suggest getting a copy of Houze's book for more information. Hopefully it has not been drilled and tapped or altered in any way.

If possible post some photos...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your insight. I do have that book you mention and the writer is supposed to live near. There just is no record of that particular serial number. The Cody museum didn't have anything. Some people have had the opinion that because it was part of this early batch it wasn't collectible. Someone did put a scope on it but I'll post some pictures tommorrow for fun.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who could possibly think that a Model 52, serial #7 would not be collectible? -Asa
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are the photo's I promised. Hope it works, first try.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80353360@N00/
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No go on the photos. Correction, got it. WOW!!
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, the photo's worked for me! I think I just nearly passed out. That is really neat and of course extemely colectable. There would be very little way of knowing the actual retail / auction price on this one, but correctly marketed it could go very, VERY high scope or not. It is at least a period rig, so that should help some. You have a gun inside the known range of extant serial numbers, so provenance should be less of an issue than if it were on the end/higher than the known examples. What a great piece of fortune! How did you come by this gem, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't feel the scope on top is that much of a problem. The fact that was drilled and tapped for a side mount does affect is value much more. Still, it is a great piece of both Winchester and target shooting history.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did a friend a favor that was in a big fight, so I bought it. A guy was mad because he called it a prototype and not a real production piece. I didn't realy know what it was when I got it but after I started to read about it, I wanted to find out as much history as I could. It has turned out to be a wonderful rifle, really fun.
    Oh, the scope mounts on top and says supertargetspot on it.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Addition of side screws is unfortunate....but considering the gun is 87 years old it's not unexpected. Target guns were often victims of someones desire to improve performance. I'd be tempted to check with Turnbull restorations and get their opinion concerning restoration.

The real treasure is the historical significance and documentation as it relates to Col. Townsend Whelen. This was Winchester's sucessfull attempt to not only break into the .22 target rifle world, but dominate it for decades.

What a treasure!
    527.jpg
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bet it is!!! Is that a * Scope on there? DBFletcher: Do you know if the serial number range in question for that specific event was perhaps drilled by the armorers/factory? I doubt that, but it should be eliminated as a possibility.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see what you mean, there was a side mount at one time.