In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walther PPK Loaded Chamber Pin Spring

coprosscopross Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know how to replace the Loaded Chamber Indicator spring on a Walther PPK made in 1952? Will it require a gunsmith? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Do you have the unique spring already?
    It doesn't require a gunsmith anymore than assembling a pistol from parts does. It just takes knowledge, understanding, and manual dexterity.

IF in doubt, take it to a smith.
  • Options
    p0838p0838 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took mine out of my 1967 Walther PPK and left it out.
    Had it at the range and gun jammed. Found out the spring was broken and the inertia of the slide going forward forced the pin to go jam forward and hit the frame which kept the slide from closing.
    Someone took it out for me and if I remember, you just twisted the safety and pulled it to the left and out. You have to remove the firing pin and spring also to get access. There's a little detent to watch for.

Img0205.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all so much!! I haven't found a spring yet but Gun Parts has them but are out of stock. Thanks again - this forum is great!!
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Check with Earls Repair Service. He's listed in Gunlist and has all the Walther parts.
  • Options
    p0838p0838 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the pin and spring

Img0206.jpg
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this was not part of the 1st question but since later brought up, the loaded chamber indicator, as a safety feature, should be left intact. Were a person to be by accident injured by someone using a gun with that part removed, a case could be made putting responsibility on the person who removed the part.

"I didn't know it was loaded" would be the first words out of someone's mouth after they accidentally shot someone. "I'm going to sue (your name here) for selling a defective gun" would come next from the victim.

I'm not saying I agree with the position, my approach is the gun is always loaded. Just pointing out what could be an unintended consequence, given our litigeous society.

It's a cheap part & an easy fix. I'd get it done.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the advise - which I will follow. Still looking for a spring.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Numrich Arms lists them. There is an old style & a new style spring. Each about $3.00. Old style is out of stock, new style in stock. I'm guessing yours, from 1952, is an old style. I've no idea of the difference, maybe someone else can advise.