In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 39A

BuckovBuckov Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Purchased in 1958 need to Know what and where I can get a firing pin there are two one early one late

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Today, I purchased a used Marlin 39A. I've seen a number of these that have on the barrel, "Golden 39A". The one I bought says, "Original Golden 39A" and is highlighted in gold. Based on the serial number, it was made in 1977. What is the significance of the difference in the two model designations and gold highlighted lettering? Thanks for the info.[:)][?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have my dads old 22 39a it was a golden modle (what ever that means) and this thing will jam ,sticking spent case in the chamber no matter what ammo is used its been at several gun smiths and will still jam.when i was younger i would shot cheep ammo and not clean very often but i take a lot better care these days and still will jam any help thanks rich
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for info on my Marlin 39A.
    It is not a Mountie but it is a carbine with straight stock.
    It has "CAL. 22 S,L,& LR
    MICRO-GROOVE" on the barrel.
    Serial # is N 124XX
    Is this a Pre- Mountie? What year or close to what year was it manufactured?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My first rifle that I bought 55 years ago; 22LR Marlin 39A. It has tens of thousands of round thru it and is still very accurate. I'm curious as to how many round can go thru a barrel before it wears out?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an "original Gold trigger 39A, most of it, I should say. All the screws and bolts are missing, the lever and the shell tube. Is it worth restoring?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an old 39a s/n G54xx that I believe was made in 1950.
    It is in very good shape used very little.
    Can anyone tell me its value?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I NEED HELP TO IDENTIFY AN OLD MARLIN 39A THE AGE AND VALUE.SERIAL #E25464
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have these little levers been discontinued by Marlin?
    I only see one new 39a on GB.
    The local Walmart and gun stores in my area cannot get one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are the new Marlin lever action 39A's selling for?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want an older 39A, new enough to be micro-groove barrel. plain barrel 20" or what ever the length of the rifle was. I have a 100 year carbin centenial w/ octogon barrel and the medalion on the stock but it is shorter and just doesn't shoot like the one I had as a kid. I would like some ideas of the age I should be looking for, I would assume mid to early 60s. I'm leaning on swapping the centenial rifle but don't know its' value as it is a shooter not a cherry but is still probably 95%. The new models just don't feel like those old babies. Any sugestions as to year I should look for? Thants, Vern[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    I sure could use your help and the help of some others on a value. I was browsing thru a little off the main road gun shop over the weekend and came across a Marlin 39A serial # J25144, My book show it as being manufactured postwar between 1945 and 1953. The auction site does not help. Sorry guys, no pistures available. Let me see if I can describe the condition. Blueing looks about 70%, no major scratches or dings. both front and rear sights have been removed, drilled and taped with a throw away scope mounted. White accent around butt plate is missing. I think this has the deep Ballard grooves. Per the sales tag, its been sitting there since last June, barrel and bore were filthy, asking $395. My question is if this old 39A even worth the effort to restore, are sights available, is this a take down version as it does have the big screw an the side and finally, what what would you think it is really worth.
    Thanks for your help,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i would like to know how old my marlin 39a is ,sr.no 68105216

tony sharp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i sure hope someone knows the value of my gun. please someone look it up and say so.sr. 68105216

tony sharp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am watching 39A's on this site and considering purchasing a few, but some of them look great but have holes in the breach, on the side opposite where it screws together. I have seen several with 2 holes and 1 with just 1 hole. Now these holes look like that have been machineed and should be there, but what are they used for? and should they be there?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired a marlin 39a with a serial number of C-1026. My aunt says she bought the gun in 1945. About what is the gun worth? I used to shoot prarie dogs with it in the early 50"s so I dont want to sell it. Plan on passing it on to my grandson.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Picked up a Marlin 39A at a gun show. Very nice lookng gun, pre safty model. Ser. # 2520****. Anyone know manufacture date? Don't need to know value, I know what I paid for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My marlin 39A doesn't feed properly. If you operate the lever fast the shell hangsup with the nose not feeding into the chamber. If you back the lever off sometimes it will feed if you gently try to close it. Most times if the lever is operated slowly & not forcefully it will work correctly. The gun does not appear to be well used or worn. The bluing hardly shows wear. Anyone tell me how to correct this?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is a folding rear sight the factory installed sight for a late '60's Marlin 39A ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a marlin 39a and was wondering how old it is. The serial # is J8485. Thank you to all that reply.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a shooter even the Golden 39A will feel good, which gives you into the 70's. You know,of course,that 39As have become collectable, so everyone selling one assumes they are now worth at least $100 more than they actually are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was actually the golden 39A I wanted so that won't be a problem. It never occured to me that the 100 year centenial I have had a different stock than my old rifle but that and the shorter barrel does make a difference! If any of you guys stumble across a nice golden 39A drop me a line. I have been wanting one for years but keep finding beaters and old rifles that the seller thinks were at Custers last stand. Thanks for the info.-- Vern
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up one here on Gunbroker not long ago. Probably paid a bit high for it, but they do turn up here with some regularity.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as HeDog ... keep looking , they do come up.
    AND folks do seem to want premium cash for them.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the 336 ver and it's the only rifle I have on display. Yes, I see them now and then on GB.

Please e-mail me Buckov
    It's too late for me, save yourself.