In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

witness P troubles

SSD0321SSD0321 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a witness P (EAA). The slide locks back often but not every time I shoot it. I have replaced the recoil spring and the Magazine. I was thinking it could be the slide catch spring. Does anyone know where I can order one that will not cost me three times the price in shipping? EAA wants $7.50 to ship a $4.00 part.

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    could you be doing it or hot ammo?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Try straight ball ammo the wide front end of the hollowpoint you are trying to use is draging the nose of the slide stop pin.
  • Options
    SSD0321SSD0321 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This happens with factory loads as well as reloads, hot or range loads, I thought I was limp wristing but that's just not the case. I will try the round nose. it could be that the flat 40 S&W nose is the culprit. Thanks
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been my experience in teaching a few people to shoot, using both the CZ75 and a couple EAA/Tanfoglio Witnesses, that what you describe will happen when firing "hot" ammo and the shooter "rides" the slide stop release lever with their left thumb. The recoil causes the thumb to kick the slide lock up under recoil, locking the slide. I'd suggest changing your grip and thumb position, slightly, before doing any more part swaps or modifying your handgun.