In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I would like to learn more about ammunition

will5821will5821 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have owned handguns for over 20 years. I know a little about the different types of ammunition but I would like to understand more. All about it really. Does anyone know of some good reading that could give me this information? My interest is in what grain is good for what situation and why, what type of bullet is better for what situation.
I hope I am asking this in the right forum, thank you for your help.
Don

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Chuck Hawks' web site has some of the best information on the net.

Handgun information....
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2b.handguns.htm

Rifle....
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm

Here's the shooting home page. Any of the links on the left you can access without a membership.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Two different things would help you out greatly. One would be to purchase a reloading manual; it will have a ton of information on powder and bullet types. Second would be to pick up the book:
    Cartridges of the World by Frank Barnes and Stan Skinner. It is a complete illustrated reference for over 1500 cartridges. Those two will start you out in the right direction and after you have a good understanding you can put it into practice and start reloading. There is no book on the planet that can teach you as much about ammo as loading it yourself.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    Two different things would help you out greatly. One would be to purchas a reloading manuel, it will have a ton of information on powder and bullet types. Second would be to pick up the book:
    Cartridges of the World by Frank Barnes and Stan Skinner. It is a complete illustrated referance for over 1500 cartridges. Those two will start you out in the right direction and after you have a good understanding you can put it into practice and start reloading. There is no book on the planet that can teach you as much about ammo as loading it yourself.

This was my introduction into all the various calibers and loads. A friend of our family gave me an old Hornady reloading manuel when I was about 12 or 13. I remember reading it from cover to cover. There is even a little history about each caliber.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    The folks here have offered some very helpful information, but there are a couple of other sources that may prove more helpful in terms of learning about ammunition. First, consider getting a copy of the book "Cartidges of the World." There have been at least 10 editions, and any one will give you a mountain of good information. Second, check out the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactures' Institute at www.saami.org. They offer lots of little pamphlets for sale, but the best source of information is the glossary on their website. Third, there are several other helpful books and pamphlets that have appeared over the years (ie. Schiffer, "Peters and King") which tend to focus on specific companys or even calibers. And, finally, there are lots of cartidge collectors out there, although there don't seem to be as many as there were years ago. Best of luck -- Steve
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to welcome you aboard, Will!
  • Options
    theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, welcome! As to answer your question, I second getting Cartridges of the World, and I also recommend ABCs of Reloading - even if you never get into reloading, it gives you a great idea of how the ammunition is made and how it actually "works".
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard! You might try to find a copy of Hatcher's Notebook by Maj. Gen. Julian S. Hatcher; he was THE ordnance guy at Frankford Arsenal, and tested and experimented with every gun the Army had.
    Definitely get the Cartridges-World, and for good comparisons of modern ammo, replete with values out to 500yds; Ammo and Ballistics by Forker is indispensible.
    Pet Loads by Ken Waters(not) P.O. Ackley (can't find my copy, think that's his name) or another Guru of shootism, Bill Jordan, did a series on tape years ago about what he shoots and why.

Be careful though, you might start down a path to esoteric knowledge only comprehensible by scholarly types and ballisticians!