In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lead Removal

BshooterBshooter Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I know this is an old question but could not find an answer. I made an electrolysis lead removal system to take lead out of my pistol barrels. A carbon steel rod, nine volt battery and vinegar. How long should I let this bubble away? Thanks. Bshooter.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I use mercury to remove the lead from barrels, Is there a way for me to remove the lead from the mercury? Thanks for your help, Les
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found it is much easier to just shoot 5 rounds of jacketed ammo thru the gun.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use a commercial Foul-Out electric systems and I usually let it set about 8 hours.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I let it go until the 9 volt battery went dead and it did pretty good. I finally cleaned it with Hoppies #9 and it turned out good. I guess experimenting will be the order of the day. Thanks. Bshooter
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    If you're going to go to all the trouble to plug the barrel, why not just fill it with a 50/50 mix of peroxide and white vinegar, wait about 6 hours, and push all the lead out the end with one or two patches? It won't hurt steel (unless it's already rusty, in which case, it will eat the rust, too), and it dissolves lead like it was Kool-Aid at a birthday party.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gunnut 505
    I will give the 50/50 mix a try. The electrolysis system worked but I still had some tough cleanup after it was done. I just took a 1/2 inch crutch tip and added electrical tape to the end of the barrel to make a tight fit. I sealed it up just fine. I'll let you know how the 50/50 mix works. Thanks. Bshooter
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And lastly if you didn't read the posted thread above,........try the Lewis lead out system, I have used it for many years when needed.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner