In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's the finish on this Python?

p0838p0838 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
1980 Python
I do know that Electroless Nickel was being done about 1978
The sight plan and the underside of the trigger guard to the forward part of the crane
appear to be a matt finish as compared to the rest of the gun which is somewhat more shiny. However , not as shiny as Factory nickel.

Img0816.jpg

Img0815.jpg

Img0787.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be nickel. To me it looks lie SS. Maybe thats just how that year was made to look. Or maybe somebody re- did it somehow with something. It just looks buffed
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks to me like a hard-chrome finish. The color of nickel, but dull.
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PROBABLY A SATIN NICKLE FINISH OR THE METAL HAD AN ADDITIONAL BUFF JOB BEFORE THE FINISH WAS APPLIED ,SO IT LOOKS DIFFERENT.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were made with both a "satin nickel", and a "matte stainless" finish.
    If the burn rings on the cylinder face won't come off with a lead cloth, or SS polish,.........it is nickel most likely, as erosion of the finish takes place in that area.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to say the "satin nickle" finish,,,imo,,nambu
  • Options
    babybouncebabybounce Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt used a finish that they called Coltguard. This was a satin nickel finish and was applied over a copper plating. Your Python looks like someone has tried to polish this finish and have polished through the satin nickel and have gone into the copper underplating. It is hard to tell without actually seeing the gun. I hope this helps. Vic