In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

alumahyde 2- when?

FireSevenFireSeven Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
Started an AK flat. Nearing the end of the tedious process of taking duplicate measurements, drilling, cutting, shaping.. I've messed around and test coated some excess receiver metal with 4 successive coats (like the Brownell's video shows). I love this stuff:

alumahyde2test_sm.jpg
click to zoom (fingerprint level)

I've googled around with no good solid answer to this ... When do I apply the stuff?

- Finish all cuts on receiver and coat inside and out; some additional fitting no problem.

- Perform above; when I finish the rifle yet another coat to cover rivet heads?

- Only after finishing riveting. What would I do about the front trunnion? Mask it off?

A better idea than anything I can think of?

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Id shoot Brownells themselves an email. I have used this stuff on an old rusty Marlin and a Remington 870 before.It holds up well, I just want to warn you to let it cure for a couple weeks before using it. Or since its getting warm out and its a black gun...the sun helps cure it nicely. I set the Marlin on a towel on my cars hood in the driveway while I mowed the grass. It got hot to the touch for an hour and really sped up curing time.
  • Options
    pagunpartspagunparts Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:- Finish all cuts on receiver and coat inside and out; some additional fitting no problem.

- Perform above; when I finish the rifle yet another coat to cover rivet heads?

That the way I've done. The 1st coat on the un-assembled receiver adds a thin protective layer of the stuff under the rivets/screws.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't refinish untill you have completely built and test fired your build.

Make sure you fully degrease the guns and wear rubber gloves.
    For more tips check out this thread on it. Also you want to spray it all at once. It takes about a month for it to set unless you cook it in your oven. Even then wait a month before doing any touch ups.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=294051

Bottom 2 in this pic have been refinished with Aluma-hyde II
    gns2_009.jpg

Better pic of the bottom one:
    gns2_015.jpg
  • Options
    FireSevenFireSeven Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "If time is not an issue. I would spray the parts before assembly, and
    then re-spray a coat upon completion. This way you can coat the inside
    and outside." - Brownells Inc.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Having used pretty much everything Brownels carries in regards to spray finishes, I HIGHLY suggest looking at their "Baking Laquer". I use to use aluma-Hyde II until I was turned on to this stuff. Blast, degrease, spray, and bake for 30mins. Done. Wears better/more durable than Aluma-Hyde II also.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1143&title=AEROSOL+BAKING+LACQUER

Ben