In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 ID/Value Help

Bixby831Bixby831 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hi - I have a 1911 that I'm quite sure is A WW1 vintage though the S/N is a big mystery since the first character didn't stamp legibly and the last one could be a "C" or a zero (see photos). From inspection marks (also in photos)I believe it was made in 1917-1918. It does not say Gov. Property but has the government contract "G" mark as well as the Eagle Head Springfield mark. Also has a two tone clip and what I believe are WW1 grips. The finish is also strange. Appears to have been painted? with a black lacquer type paint?? which can be removed with a fingernail. Finish underneath is a steel (almost aluminum) color, not blued, and the surface has very fine striations as if it wasn't polished real well during the finish process. Not sure if it could be a Black Colt but would I certainly appreciate help from some experts to get a better handle on dating it and getting an idea of value. It's great there's a site like this where so much knowledge is concentrated. The link below will take you to the photos I took of it. Thanks guys, Brian - Seattle, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/BrianW25/ColtPhotos?authkey=Gv1sRgCNqu1ofO87C1DA&feat=directlink

Comments

• Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    can't see the pics.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Follow this link for photo posting instructions:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

EDIT: Perry Shooter is probably right. But, it looks to me like a Japanese non-firing replica made of zinc; if so, a magnet won't stick to either the slide or frame.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    From the pictures I suspect that this is a gun that Was a Military pistol that has had the serial number and us Property marks removed. The font on the numbers is both wrong and not lined up correctly The letter C as last digit of serial I believe again is put there intending to make it look like a Civilian frame.The grips look like fake WW I . I also think who ever did this tried to refinish the pistol . What they did was to take a pistol that most likely had no record that it was missing from the military .Thousands were sold as surplus and they most likely cut the value by 75% . I don't think you would have any legal trouble having it but would be problematic when it would come to selling it. Value as a shooter $400.00 + or - as a collector item $200.00 -$250.00 for the barrel depending on bore , but not much over the $400.00 for the entire pistol for parts and the rest as a shooter.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the close-up photo of the serial number, I agree with PS. The original serial number has been removed and replaced with a hand stamped phoney. Not only does this ruin the pistol for collectors purposes it could put you in legal jeopardy if the feds chose to pursue this matter.

Since the finish is as phoney as the SN. I would just bead blast it off and keep it as it is, except keeping it well oiled. Or you can have it Parkerized. Because of the obviously doctored SN you might have problems. Many knowledgeable gunsmiths would refuse to work on it, because they wouldn't want to have it in their possession.