In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Resizer Die Dimplying

Koiman55Koiman55 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
I need help to solve a problem. I have dimplying when using my resizer die on 30-06 brass cases. I know it is due to build up of lubricant. The question is how to Best get rid of the excess lube and not hurt the die. I used an ultrasonic cleaner with cleaner plus some Dawn degreaser on the dismantled die for about twenty minutes. Then rinsed and dried the die, then sprayed a light oil to prevent rust. I still had dimplying. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Please explain to us in detail, just how you are applying the size-lube to the brass cases. Thanks. Joe
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normally the excess lube is on the brass not in the die. Try to change the type of lube you have been using and the way your applying it.

Recently I have gone to Lee water soluble lube in the plastic tube for good results. Putting just a tiny bit in a one gallon plastic zipper bag. Toss in a bunch of clean brass. Zip the bag shut and toss it around for a couple of minutes to make sure that the lube is on all the brass.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try using Hornady Quick Shot Lube, you stand all your cases up in a loading block, liberally spray all of the cases, let sit for 5 minutes, you are ready to resize. The lube will not hurt the powder or primers. Don't try to resize until the cases are dry to the touch!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am using RCBS dies with RCBS pad and lubricant. I lay the brass on the pad and roll a couple of times. I have resized a couple of hundred cases before the problem developed. I still have the problem with the lube in the die (or can it build up there?) I did try to ensure that no too much lube was on the cases but still get the dimples up around the neck collar.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Could it be that the vent hole in the die is stopped up with dried up lube? Check to see that it is open.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I have it figured out now. Thanks to your replies, I determined that I was using too much lube. While waiting for replies, I resized a couple of dozen cases with no problems by using very little lube. I am also going to explore other lubes also. Thanks for all your help.

Dave
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When using the RCBS lube pad you have to really rub the lubricant into the pad. You have to rub it in hard not just spread the lube on the pad and then run your brass over it. I've never had a problem using that formula over 30+ years of reloading.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re: " .... still have the problem with the lube in the die (or can it build up there?)" These are known as "lube dents" mate. Went down this road in the late '70's ....
    Of course RCBS lube can build-up. And then it congeals/hardens.
    You have a classic case of too much RCBS (gag) lube residue in the die's shoulder section. If these dents show on the tapered area of your resized cases, it's a dead giveaway here. The solution follows:
    1) Disassemble the resizer die.
    2) Clean it w/ some kerosene/naptha/mild solvent (use a chamber brush if ya have one). Dry it off w/ paper towels.
    3) Per above post (tnx, Peabo), ensure the vent hole is clear. Do not proceed if it's plugged - clean the vent hole w/ a paperclip from the outside & check it w/ a flashlight, looking from the bottom end of the die. Aerosol solvents also work great here. Look for light radiating from the vent hole.
    4) Reassemble & Important: use MUCH LESS RCBS lube, or (better yet) toss it & the pad. See next item
    5) Switch to an aerosol lube, preferrably one w/ Teflon. Use it VERY sparingly, & you will never go back to the pad method/RCBS lube.

Hope 'dis helps a bit ....
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brake cleaner works great for cleaning lube out of the dies.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, disassemble and spray thoroughly with brake cleaner. Run a bore brush in and around as well.

Now, are the dents rectangular in shape?? like the shape of a grain of powder? a stuck kernal of powder in that area will also dent the brass upon sizing.