In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Ace .22.LR

Jake513Jake513 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
How can I determine the value of a Colt Ace .22 LR handgun manufactured in 1936 (The serial number is 7037 if I remember correctly)? No letters before, just the 7037. Although I can't prove any of it, my grandmother was the secretary for the president of Colt at the time. He gave my grandfather the gun as a gift. My grandfather was a marine colonel and had his name engraved on the barrel. It is in lightly worn condition, but i dont know how to classify it.

I would like to sell this gun, but don't want to get taken advantage of. Any advice? thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You asked for advice.

Here is my advice; do not sell this treasure. The people that are part of that guns history are priceless and gone. There is no way to replace them or that gun once the few bucks you get for it are gone.

Sell your TV, sell your couch, dresser and dining room table but keep that gun and document as much of the history as you possibly can for the next generation of your family.

My .02.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post quality photos for accurate identification and valuation.

Link below explains how to post photos in the forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Your pistol was made in 1936 The ace is a collector type pistol less then 11,000 made. before WW II . If factory engraved it would help value but if someone else engraved a name on the pistol this would REALLY hurt it's value I agree with BOBSKI& Bpost on not selling unless you need food or they are going to foreclose on your home. If you do decide to sell you will need to post GOOD QUALITY pictures so take pictures and post here so we can give you a value of the pistol.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    You asked for advice.

Here is my advice; do not sell this treasure. The people that are part of that guns history are priceless and gone. There is no way to replace them or that gun once the few bucks you get for it are gone.

Sell your TV, sell your couch, dresser and dining room table but keep that gun and document as much of the history as you possibly can for the next generation of your family.

My .02.

+100 good advise
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    quote:Originally posted by we_dig_it
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    You asked for advice.

My .02.

+100 good advise

Actually, it' good advice.

But, I don't think anyone noticed. [:D]

Dano, I did that on purpose just to see if you would catch it.[;)]
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    In addition to the above advice, I suggest you contact Colt. they may have a record that your pistol was presented to your grandfather by the President of Colt and also whether it was engraved at the factory.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have been given good advice. Keep it in the family if at all possible. Since your grandmother worked for Colt, there is a good chance that grandpa's name was engraved on the barrel at the factroy. A letter from Colt documenting this would be of great value weither you keep it or sell it. I am passing my dads A5 on to his first grandson because it is the right thing to do. If you must sell it for some reason, the documentation will enhance the value.
  • Options
    cwo4commcwo4comm Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    May I suggest that you dont sell it, but donate it to the U. S. Marine Corp Museum and take a tax credit, it's getting tax time.
    The family could always view it.
    Have it appraised.
    Obtain his service record from the National Record Center 9500 Page Blvd, St. Louis, Mo. Try getting it on the web. Does anyone have his DD-214?? (Service History)? This would make the gun more valuable.
    Have it appraised. Depending on condition its should come in at
    several thousand dollars.
    Do you have the .22 to .45 cal converssion unit. It's also in the same ballpark.