In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The 8th gun made by the Ithaca Gun Company

LexLex Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
I own a 10 gauge double barrel side by side with hammers. On the side of the receiver (?) is stamped "Ithaca, NY." Inside the receiver is stamped "Pat" and two dates "May 25, 1880" and "June 1, 1880." There is also "8/1" stamped on the receiver, the barrel and the forearm.

It is my understanding that the Ithaca Gun Company was the only manufacturer of firearms in Ithaca, NY circa 1880. It is also my understanding that Serial Numbers 1 - 2447 were manufactured between 1880 to 1885 and known as "Baker Doubles" in the community today. Back then they were called just about anything. I also know there were 5 or 6 grades for these guns.

I am assuming that since I see the Patent Dates, and the name Ithaca, and the "8/1" that I have a Grade 1, "Baker Double" and it is the 8th gun made by the Ithaca Gun Company.

I'd like to hear from some other passionate gun enthusiasts about what you think.

Thanks for chiming in.

Comments