In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TEC-9

deswafforddeswafford Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Problem Resolved

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    My friend has been collecting for yeaaaars and is in the 1st stages of heart failure. He has sold me a few pieces just because he knows there is no need to hold on to them because life is short. He is offering me a brand new never been fired Tec-9 Open Bolt. After reading a bunch of stuff on the net I am skeptical. Is this legal to buy from him? Is it even legal to have? He is asking $1,100 from me. Is that a good price? Any help would be appreciated. I'm not looking to use it (at least I say that now), just have it in my collection.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How does one go about verifying whether or not he/she is in possession of an open bolt TEC-9?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I have trouble with my memory too, so I try to keep all my guns locked in safes so that I can find them easily. If I want to see if I am in possession of a particular gun, all I have to do is open up a safe and look. [:D]

I am messing with you a little. I am not sure I understand the question, the way it is phrased. Let me flesh it out a bit, and see if I get your meaning.

You have a TEC-9, right? And you want to see if it fires from an open bolt or a closed bolt? The only way I know of to check is to function test it, either live fire or dry fire.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's ok I don't mind being messed with a little. Maybe I didn't ask my question properly. I purchased a TEC-9 at a gunshow and I need to know how to tell if it is open bolt or not.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simply pull the bolt back, if it stays open and closes when you pull the trigger you have an open-bolt gun.

Look at the face of the bolt, if it has a fixed firing pin on the face of the bolt it is an open bolt gun.

Finally, if you pull the bolt back and release it and it closes, you do not have an open bolt gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was sold to me as an open bolt but being this is my first TEC-9 aquisition I'm skeptical.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys that's easy enough to check.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BE CAREFUL IF you use a live round. My first open bolt test was an eye opener.Bolt back, pull trigger, bolt closes fast and gun fires.![:I]