In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

older 700 discharge when loading

svg25ssmsvg25ssm Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
My buddies 700 243 went off when he closed the bolt after loading.What is the fix for this?Will an after market trigger do it?

Comments

• huntsman53huntsman53 Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has been a lot of topics about this problem on the GB forums! While some will agree and others disagree, most of the problems have to do with a dirty and/or corruded and possibly rusted trigger/safety assembly. I would recommend removing the barreled action from the stock and give the trigger/safety a good cleaning and lubrication. Re-install the barreled action in the stock, re-tighten the screws and close the bolt with the rifle unloaded. If it is going to have another premature firing, then it will do so loaded or unloaded and you don't want an accident.

While I am at it, I will ask. Has the barreled action been recently removed and re-installed in the stock or has the gun been re-stocked? If so, then it is quite possible the action (receiver) is binding in the inlet where it sits. If binding, this can cause premature firing when the bolt is closed. If this is the case, then remove the barrled action from the stock and if possible, try to find where it is binding and correct with inlet in the stock with sandpaper or a dremel an re-install making sure that the action is not binding. Re-tighten the screws and close the bolt with the rifle unloaded. If it is going to have another premature firing, then it will do so loaded or unloaded and you don't want an accident.

While the two scenarios above IMHO are the main causes of premature firing in the Model 700 Rifles, it could be an unrelated problem! Remington now has a new trigger/safety assembly available for the Model 700 Rifles but you could also install a quality after-market trigger/safety such as a Timney Trigger.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by svg25ssm
    My buddies 700 243 went off when he closed the bolt after loading.What is the fix for this?Will an after market trigger do it?

svg25ssm.....MSMBC just ran a program on the Rem 700 and the trigger block system failures. While I have not checked it, I hear that they are running a link on their website to explain how one can get the gun fixed for $20. Of course, a new trigger group would do the fix also. Some folks have been killed including the little boy profiled in the show who was accidently shot by...his mom. Very sad. I have put up my forty year old Varmit Special and will not use it again until I get the trigger checked/replaced. Never had a problem with it but who knows? Not going to hand it down to my grandson until it is fixed.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    THE 'most likely' cause is a dirty trigger assy., completely disassemble and clean.
  • huntsman53huntsman53 Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    quote:Originally posted by svg25ssm

svg25ssm.....MSMBC just ran a program on the Rem 700 and the trigger block system failures. While I have not checked it, I hear that they are running a link on their website to explain how one can get the gun fixed for $20. Of course, a new trigger group would do the fix also. Some folks have been killed including the little boy profiled in the show who was accidently shot by...his mom. Very sad. I have put up my forty year old Varmit Special and will not use it again until I get the trigger checked/replaced. Never had a problem with it but who knows? Not going to hand it down to my grandson until it is fixed.

Apparently, you have not seen Remington's rebuttal to CNBC's story about the Model 700 Trigger/Safety problem! CNBC not only stretched the information to make a good sell but also edited out a lot of the Witness testimony. Click on the link below, wait for it to load entirely and then click "Play" on the video to watch Remington's response.

http://www.gunblog.com/remingtons-response-to-cnbcs-remington-700-story/

Better yet, go to the link below which includes portions of the CNBC Report and Remington's responce.

http://m.remington700.tv/
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am amazed that people on a gun forum, knowing full well the rabid anti-gun bias of the media, would attach any credence at all to what the talking heads say!!
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I am amazed that people on a gun forum, knowing full well the rabid anti-gun bias of the media, would attach any credence at all to what the talking heads say!!

+1,000
    I even refused to watch that hack job of a show.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on cleaning the trigger. Another cause could be the trigger adjustment screws have come loose making the trigger pull too light. Check these to make sure that has not happened while you're cleaning. Brake cleaner works great for cleaning trigger assemblies. Spray the crap and crud out of it. Air dry with a compressor. Lube. Reassemble and check for function UNloaded.
  • svg25ssmsvg25ssm Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info guys.To be safe i will just put a new trigger in it for him.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's that saying about the loudest sounds you'll ever hear?

It goes "click" when it should go "BOOM!"
    -or-
    It goes "BOOM!" when it should go "click"

I'll agree with what's above in that you should first clean the rifle completely and then lubricate it according to the manufacturer. If you think it's a long term problem take it in and get it fixed.

In the meantime, follow the number one rule of the Ten Commandmants of Firearm Safety, -Do NOT point the gun (or allow it to be pointed) at anyone or anything you don't wish to shoot.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the most part, a good take down and cleaning of the barreled action, and bolt will help a lot. It should be taken to a qualified gunsmith, someone who knows what they are doing with Remington 700's of old. The new ones have the sear engagement pre set, and sealed.

I do not agree with it is a stock/safety binding problem(you should be able to close the bolt with the safe off, or completely taken out, and the rifle should not click over), and it also has very little to do with weight of pull. Over time and use, parts wear, and such is it with the sear engagement. Of course the least amount of sear engagement is desired, but it has to be at a safe level also. Also the over travel adjustment should be backed off about a half turn after the it lets the sear down. Like I stated earlier in this post...take it to someone who is qualified, and KNOWS HOW to adjust the Remington trigger.

There is no gaurantee that putting in a new trigger will be safe. They are not a plug and play option like an SD card in a digital camera. They need to be fitted by a qualified individual, as the striker still stays with the bolt. It should take the qualified gunsmith about 20-30 minutes to do what is needed to the trigger that is in it. You can't get a much better trigger than the one that is in it. It just needs to be cleaned and adjusted properly.

Best