In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Quality Hardware and Machine

Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Okay, in another thread, I spoke of a M1 carbine, that I have. At the time, I believed it to be a unit produced by Rock-Ola. However, after careful inspection, I was able to read, on the receiver, under the rear site, QUA(on the left) M.C.(on the right). As I'm sure you can imagine, letters directly under the site, are obscured, too much, for me to see.

To add to the mix, the barrel, which appears to be very nice, says: "ROCK-OLA" "6-43" So, well, I'm not all too sure what I have. I'm thinking that I have... Oh hell, I'm not sure what I have. [:D]

I know that these M1's have come into vogue, so to speak... Anybody have any clues as to what I might have, or what to look for?

To take it apart, I guess I'll have to find the destruction manual.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    We need a serial number.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a Quality Hardware carbine (stamped "QUALITY H.M.C."). They used Rock-O-La barrels early in production, so the barrel is likely original.

But, as to exactly what you have, we don't have a clue without high quality photos.

If you want to know exactly what every part is, you may want to buy a copy of an inexpensive paperback, "US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch. This book also has disassembly instructions. The NRA sells a reprint of articles on the carbine that include disassembly instructions.

Neal

EDIT
    EDIT
    EDIT: We only get 10 responses to a question, & then the subject is locked. To extend the responses, you want to "edit" your original posting (click on the icon that looks like a pencil & pad of paper).

Great photos. But, in the future, they will be more easily seen if you resize them to 800x600; that can be viewed more easily, & those with dial-up can see them.

The only place that a carbines serial number should appear is on the receiver, if original USGI. Stamping it on other parts was done by the Greeks, Israelis, & armorers of other foreign militaries. This means your gun is an "import"; it should have import markings somewhere on the barrel or receiver, although they may have been removed or the barrel replaced.

Your carbine can never be "restored" to original. You could spend $2,000 & get close by replacing parts with repro & fake parts from ebarf, but it wouldn't fool anyone who knows what the real thing looks like.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    We need a serial number.

1.6 million

@Neal, okay, I'll see what I can do. Too bad the iPhone doesn't take that great of pictures.

But, if Quality Hardware and Machine built it, in 6/43, and used a ROCK-OLA barrel, that would make sense.

Personally, I really like these carbines. However, when I think about my Garand, on the other hand, my poor thumb hurts. I remember the bolt slamming closed on my thumb... [B)] Oh my, that hurt like hell. [:(]

***Edit: Pictures pulled, due to size.

Notes:

Stock (both pieces), numbers match (matching the receiver)
    Number on the charging handle, matches stock, and, receiver.
    Number on the site, doesn't seem to match
    On the stock, you can see where the rifle was held, when deployed using a bayonet.

Let me know if there's a need for more pictures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's a picture, with little brother:

***Edit: picture pulled.

[:)]
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the first two pictures your rifle is a rebuild with late features, adjustable rear sight, flip safety and type three band. The stock looks like it is sanded and refinished. The only question I have is the barrel original to the receiver. Sometime in 1943 they stopped putting dated barrel on the Quality. The Rock-Ola dated barrel would be desirable to some one with a Rock manufactured in the 6/43 time line and you could get some extra money for it. Some one with a book will have to determine what barrel went on the carbine you have. I would say your rifle with out knowing the ME & TE is worth between 550.00-650.00 with out having a inventory of the parts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham
    From the first two pictures your rifle is a rebuild with late features, adjustable rear sight, flip safety and type three band. The stock looks like it is sanded and refinished. The only question I have is the barrel original to the receiver. Sometime in 1943 they stopped putting dated barrel on the Quality. The Rock-Ola dated barrel would be desirable to some one with a Rock manufactured in the 6/43 time line and you could get some extra money for it. Some one with a book will have to determine what barrel went on the carbine you have. I would say your rifle with out knowing the ME & TE is worth between 550.00-650.00 with out having a inventory of the parts.

Well, that sounds reasonable to me.

I decided to field strip the rifle:

The charging handle, or that whole assembly, is made by ROCK-OLA. Also, the trigger assembly is made by ROCK-OLA too. Perhaps I should sell the rifle for parts?

Anyway, what if I was to R&R the adjustable site, with a flip-up site; change the stock, for something that fought in WW2; and change the bayonet lug? Could the rifle be brought back to something a collector might want?

Serial number:

16#####

**Doing some research I found:

Given the above serial number, the receiver was manufactured in 6/43

Dates were no longer placed on the barrels after 6/43

Quality Hardware and Machine only manufactured receivers

Having a ROCK-OLA barrel on a Quality Hardware and Machine receiver would/could be correct, given how M1 carbines were built, 6/43

The barrel on the receiver very well could be the original barrel, to the receiver.

***I wonder if the slide was forced to match, number wise. Yes, the slide's ROCK-OLA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    @Neal

Yeah, when you said "high quality," my brain heard high definition. I got out the Cannon 40D and figured, I'll show you what HD pictures look like. [:D]

Thinking about it, I forgot about dial-up connections, sorry.

I went ahead and pulled the pictures, for now. So, if a need arises to see them in 800 X 600, and the queen's not buried too far into her box, I shall pull her and re-shoot her. Poor girl.

I think I've learned a lot about this rifle; > I had hoped for. Being that it's worth, most likely, over $500.00, I'm happy with that.

That's still under 10 posts, anybody want to get IBTL?

Thanks for your help.