In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German Rifle

SherriTSherriT Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hi
Please forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about guns and now have been put in charge to sell an old german rifle. If you can give me any advice I will greatly appreciate it. It is a double barrel rifle with a scope the markings are 616xx Hubertus Suhl Dural on the barrel in a circle it reads flussstahl kruppfssen with an x in the middle and on top it reads schrot. It is very ornate with what looks to be hand carved silver and gold. There is a carving of rabbits a lab chasing birds and an elk.
Thank You
Sherri

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have this ANKARA 1935 I think its a German rifle. It says GEM 88 It has no Caliber stamped on it. It has a crescent over AS.FR and a star and a T C over the crescent. Could someone tell me about this rifle?[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for information on a rifle I am restoring for a friend. His father brought the rifle back from Germany, circa 1950. The barrel is stamped Helmut Dinger Kaiserslautern. The serial number is 1089. The rifle is in 270 caliber. It has some engraving on the trigger assembly. The rifle has a nice mannlicher stock; ivory details, silver inlay, checking, etc... Anu information is appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would love to know something about his cute little rifle that I bought years ago. It is chambered for 4mm long. The breech shows that size, but the muzzle is much larger.
    I don't understand German, but I guess "Sportmodell" is obvious.
    If anybody can shed any light on this rifle, please drop me a line. I would love to know it's history.
    The receiver and the barrel are numbered alike.
    The things that puzzle me are.....
    If it's a Sport model, why does it have a Swastika?
    Why is the muzzle so much larger than the breech?
    Why is the stock cut for a sling when there is no hardware for a sling?
    I would understand the last question if it had been sporterized, but evidently it was a sporter from birth.
    See pictures here http://www.karlsattic.com/german_rifle/Index.html
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need quality photos for accurate identification and valuation.

Instructions for posting photos are at this link.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

From the information you have provided, vis a vis the markings.

1, "Hubertus" was a Trade Mark used on guns made by the Imman Meffert Co.

2, "Suhl" is a city in Eastern Germany that was the center of the firearms industry prior to the Second World War.

3, "Dural" most likely means that the receiver is actually made of aluminum rather then steel, which wasn't common.

4, "Flussstahl Kruppfssen" means that the barrel was made of fluid steel by the Krupp Co in the city of Essen.

5, "Schrot" might mean that one of the barrels is smoothborred rather then rifled. This would make it a combination gun known as a cape gun, or "Buchsflinten" in German, rather then a conventional double rifle.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SherriT

Put in charge of selling it??? Nobody wants to keep it?[;)]

Seriously, you have what is probably a very fine rifle there. You would need to get some pics posted to have anyone here do it some justice.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum as to how to do it. It's pretty simple, all you need is a digital camera a computer cord and a computer (which I already know you have)

And welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One key to salability of older European guns is ammunition availability. If it is an 8x57R or a 9.3x74R you are in great shape. If it is something odd, it is not as desirable unless it is so pretty as to hang up for the sheer art of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi
    I uploaded photos on image shack here is the link to view them. Thank you all!!
    http://img6.imageshack.us/g/img5063p0.jpg/
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK! THATS why we need photo's. You have a Drilling, or 3 barreled combo gun; most of these multibarreled guns were made by the Ferlach Guild, but obviously not all. Having said that, even though the address doesn't sound correct, he COULD be a member of the Ferlach. I will look at pics more and get back....waaaaaaay cool! A guess...Might be a 9.3 x 72 with 2 12 guage barrels under it?

EDIT #1: Double triggers with the set screw on the front means the front trigger fires the rifle barrel and the rear sequentially fires the shot barrels. I did not see a selector switch so I made that assumption. European 7.8 might be the rifle caliber, but with all those nitro proofs, Suhl stamps, firing proofs, final assemply proofs and eagles all over the place I am on overload! Also have no access to my books currently[:(!] so I cannot decipher date codes, Guild membership etc...[xx(]

This gun would be considered more of a European hunting gun than a cape gun. Those were not often scoped, and it is more than a little odd this one is with shotgun barrels? More pictures of the scope and mount system would really clear things up as it might be quick (ish) detach of some kind. I say this is more of a Euro Game Preserve type gun as they normally would hunt rabbits in the morning, birds in the mid-day and perhaps stag or boar in the afternoon, all with the same gun.

The gun has seen some pretty significant use as the edges are a little rounded on most of the engraving and high edges elsewhere. All in all, neat as hell! Whats its history? Perhaps brought home by an American serviceman after being "liberated" in Germany? I have known many people over the years who came by similar guns the same way; at least that would better explain its presence here in a country where we don't make those...we just get more guns that do one job very well and take into the field what we need.

Sure hope someone out there in the ATE forum is much better informed on these than am I!!!!! If I only had my books! Aaaaargh![V]

EDIT #2: And there you go...that's why books are a good thing, and why Rufe is The Man, and I...am not!! Where did you see the caliber marking? I was waaay off! Again, pictures of the optics and their markings would really help.

Yikes...Carl Zeiss Jena. Not sure it gets much better than that! I see where the mounts are placed in the gun, and although the rear looks like it might be a QD, the front surely looks press dovetailed to me. Looks like it has been in a safe for some time as there is a lot of dust on the objective lens. That should be cleaned with an air puffer or compressed air and then carefully cleaned with an optics lens cleaning cloth. Are the optics clear? I.E., can you see the crosshairs clearly and are they in focus along with everything else you are looking at? Just as a bit of an aside, I just saw a much newer, 16x16x8.8x72R with little engraving and no scope selling for $5k...that should give you cause for pause! There is a limited audience (BUYING audience that is! Plenty of us are big druelers though!) for these guns, but there is one, trust in that. Also, times are hard, so prices are down.
    planning on selling or insuring? That's a neat gun for sure...I would try to keep it around. Chances are it will get nothing but more valuable!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's what is known as a Drilling rather then a double rifle. The rifle barrel is chambered for the German 8 X 57 rimed cartridge. The shotgun barrels are 16 gauge. The proof date is June 1933. It appears to be a very high quality firearm. IMHO it would be best if you got a hands-on appraisal from a knowledgeable/honest firearms dealer or collector.

Because many of this type of firearm were brought back as souvenirs by G.I.'s after the Second World War, the high dollar value for them would be back in the fatherland where they originated. Unfortunately do to complex laws regarding the transfer of firearms, they have to be transfered by firearms dealer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi You guys are great thank you for all the information.
    Here are more pictures of the scope
    http://img411.imageshack.us/g/img5109b.jpg/

I don't have much history on the gun my husband inherited it and he knows nothing about its history.
    Thanks!!!
    Sherri
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok I just figured out how to post the images directly to this forum. Here they are [img][/img]img5109b.jpg
    img5107n.jpg
    img51060.jpg
    img510501.jpg
    img5104d.jpg
    img5103x.jpg
    img5102m.jpg
    img51010.jpg
    img50990.jpg
    img5097v.jpg
    img5093m.jpg
    img5091.jpg
    img5090x.jpg
    img50880.jpg
    img5087o.jpg
    img5085n0.jpg
    img5084co.jpg
    img5082c.jpg
    img5076a.jpg
    img5074z.jpg
    img5073k.jpg
    img5071w.jpg
    img5070n.jpg
    img5069l.jpg
    img5066l.jpg
    img5065x.jpg
    img5063p0.jpg

Does any one know where to get an appraisal I am in southern california
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, I am greatly impressed. That is one absolutely beautiful combo gun. [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Because the moderators will close down this thread after 10 replies, (Forum Rules). Just start a new topic using "German Rifle #2" as the subject. Hopefully more folks will respond helping you price the Drilling.