In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevens Model 620

Rakkasan187INFRakkasan187INF Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hiya folks. Last year I purchased a Stevens Model 620 12 Gauge at a local gun shop. I couldn't refuse the price ($180)...especially when I noticed the arsenal stamp on the barrel near the receiver. I was wondering exactly when this shotgun was made and what it might be worth. Its serial number is 6361 and is all numbers matching (at least every number I've been able to find is matching). Peculiarly it has a 30" barrel on it. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a Stevens Browning 620 12 ga today and was wondering what actual worth was. It is a riot gun and has "Pete Red Wolf Ethete, WYO" carved into one side of the butt stock and a badge inserted with "Indian Police Wind River WY" on the other side. The History that was with it says Pete Red Wolf served in the Indian Police for 27 years. Can someone help me?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First I would due a GOOGLE search for Pete Red Wolf. Then contact the WY state historical society, also the historical society for the county Ethete/Wind River is located in, if possible. Keep on digging and researching on any leads they can give you, i.e. Indian Police, relatives, military service etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've goofled him and the reservation but no results on Red Wolf. The Rez is there and most of the info is correct bunt no info on the person. I bought it more for the historical value and not to really shoot(unless the need arises) but yo gave me some pretty good ideas that I didn't think of thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by huntsman53
    quote:Originally posted by Rakkasan187INF
    I've goofled him and the reservation but no results on Red Wolf. The Rez is there and most of the info is correct bunt no info on the person. I bought it more for the historical value and not to really shoot(unless the need arises) but yo gave me some pretty good ideas that I didn't think of thank you.

I am sorry but I just had to say it! The problem is that you "goofled" it instead of "googled" it![:D]

To make up for the joke, I will do some searching and see if I can find out anything. If I do, I will post it here. It is possible that the information and the name carved into the buttstock are bogus. We see it all of the time, especially with so-called Indian Guns (i.e. old Springfield 45-70 Carbines that have been decorated to appear that the decoration was done by an Indian during the Indian Wars and come with a fictional story). This is done to boost and make a sell to an unsuspecting tourist or other visitor.

Thanks Huntsman, being indian and from Oklahoma, I do know this and know some of the things that are done. This all looks original and I know that the area it is from doesn't have a Tribal Police Department; BIA covers it wich back in the day they used indians from individual tribes to "police" themselves.
    Like I said, I'm just trying to find out some of the history and what it may be worth. I probably paid too much for a small piece of functioning history. I'm trying to start two hobbies at once collecting old guns and a woodshop.
    I did read that a Military, Police, or roit gun was worth a little more, can anyone give me a general idea. I can post pics if neccessary if you can do it on here if not I can probably e-mail them.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During W W II a number of Stevens Model 620's were used as Trench/Riot guns by the U.S. military. They have a "U S" marking on receiver, also a "Ordnance Bomb" marking on barrel and receiver. The S.N. range was between 1,000 & 30,000. If your shotgun doesn't have these identifying features, chances are it just was a commercial shotgun with a sawed off barrel.