In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage 99 Question

famtraditionfamtradition Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a Savage 99 on GunBroker. I believe the stock has been replaced (definitely refinished) and am unsure of the model. The forend is schnobel-type with no markings. The buttstock has checkering on the pistol grip area with 2 diamonds in it. This doesn't appear to be original as the lever boss markings indicate 1954 (S/N 750XXX). The rifle is a 24" barrel in .300 Savage.

What should the original stock look like and where did my current stock come from? Also, how do I tell if I have an EG or R?

Comments

• famtraditionfamtradition Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a '99 in .308. When I shoot military 7.62 Nato, extraction is very difficult. This does not happen when using commercial .308. Any Ideas? Thanks to all. Bob
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275030005

I am not that familiar with Savage guns. Can someone explain the lever safety this gentleman is talking about? Sorry for the dumb question. Thanks in advance.

Todd
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine brought his grandpaws Savage model 99 over for show and tell, and neither one of us could find the serial no. on it. I would assume it would be on the belly foreward of the lever, but it's not. Would this be on the tang, under the butstock, or were they un-numbered at one time or another. P.S. This is marked "savage model 99" only (.300 Savage) Thanks, old ford truck fan.
    edited November -1
    From what research I've done, I think this 99 was built in 1937. Am I right? Is it a 99B? The rifling is strong and bright, what is this rifle worth, where would you start it for auction? Serial #365158 and the barrel si 24". Are the sights correct?
    IMGP4850.JPG
    IMGP4852.JPG
    IMGP4848.JPG
    IMGP4857.JPG
    IMGP4859.JPG
    IMGP4876.JPG
    All the numbers match, stock, butt plate and forarm.
    Thanks for the help.
    W.D.
    Fixed the pictures.[:D]
    edited November -1
    A buddy of mine has a Savage 99 that he inherited. According to the serial number it was built in '54 and it doesn't look like it's been thoroughly cleaned since '58! The gun shoots real good and holds 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards but the magazine is sticky and doesn't easily accept shells or feed them. What is the best way to clean the mechanism out short of a complete disassembly? Can we spray some brake cleaner in there and wash the gunk out or do we need to tear it down?
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if a Savage 99 410 barrel will fit on just about any 99? I have an early 99 30-30 takedown and thought the 410 barrel would be nice if it was an easy switch.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ed
    edited November -1
    I can provide photos if that helps; I just can't figure out how to post them.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    This is what original Savage 99 checkering looks like.
    W.D.

IMGP4867.JPG
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    famtradition,

There is a 'Sticky' directly above where this is posted, titled "Posting Photographs'. Please read it and if you have more questions, ask here or e-mail me.

Best.