In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rossi Youth Combo .22 barrel Firing Pin Indent

roadchoadroadchoad Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am cleaning up this newly purchased .22/20Ga combo for my 9yo for Christmas. I noticed that the .22 barrel has an indent in the chamber where thw firing pin would hit. What is the purpose of this? I assume because of the size of the firing pin neede for centerfire cartridges that the rimfire barrel needs a relief? There is no peened metal around the rim, so it doesn't look like dry-firing gone bad.

GEDC0605.JPG

Oh, and yeah, I know, it is a Rossi. If you feel the need to sarcastically remind me of that or knock my son's first rifle in any way, you know where to put your post. [:D]

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's there so that in case of a dry-fire that the pin DOESN'T damage the chamber
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have never looked at a Rossi but have fired 100's of thousand 22 rimfire rounds. Normally a rimfire chamber need to Pinch the rim between the firing pin and the chamber edge .If one would damage the chamber by dry firing causing a BURR and then use a file or other method to remove this burr it would leave a demple in the edge of chamber this would cause misfires. However your picture looks like the chamber was machined the way it is . If mine I would take a pair of pliers and remove the bullet and powder from 10 or so 22 cartridges and then install in chamber attempt to fire them and inspect the cases . If you dont hear a POP on each one then you can assume you will have misfires with any ammo you try to shoot. MAYBE EVEN a HANG-FIRE. [V][xx(]Good Quality Pictures by the way. [^]
  • Options
    roadchoadroadchoad Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't shot it yet, but would hate to have it misfire on him for his first few shots. I'll see if I can sneak it out to run a few through it....