In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sig P220 Finish Discoloring

Freedom_FanFreedom_Fan Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have experience with Super QCG cleaner discoloring the finish of their firearms? I picked up a bottle of QCG at a gun show last year, and have used it on blued rifles and shotguns without any isse. I just used it on my new Sig P220, and it seemed to turn the slide a graphite/charcoal color. It also seemed to change the anodized aluminum frame from a gloss to a matte. I am not sure if this is normal for the Sig Nitron finish. I haven't used the QCG since, and have tried to wipe the gun with oil to see if it improves. I am concerned that the finish has been damaged. Should I use CLP or Hoppe's traditional two-part nitro solvent & oil for the Sig finish?

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    No experience with that cleaner, but Gunscrubber will often leave the finish looking frosty. A rubdown with oil will correct the non-problem.

SIG states in their armorer course that you can use anything to clean and oil your SIG that is made for use on firearms. If you use something on your SIG that was made for use on firearms, and if it causes a real problem, contact a gunsmith at the SIG factory and ask what to do next.
  • Options
    Freedom_FanFreedom_Fan Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response, and for providing the information from the factory armorer training. I have yet to contact Sig customer service, but I think that is my next step.