In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin Nagant M91/30 7.62X54R

Mike FinkMike Fink Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
Just recently admired one of these great old rifles and was told by the owner that it had no safety- or at least none that he could find. I didn't think it was legal to have a rifle with no safety, imported into the US. Please set me straight if I am wrong. Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/operations.asp

Yes, there is a safety, Takes two strong men and a small boy to operate it, but it is there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks 11b6r- Is the part about importing correct or did I just pick that up somewhere and it stuck? - Mike
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Lots of MAS 36 and 36/51 rifles, Berthier rifles and carbines, and Lebels were imported with no safety... French didn't apparently think such was needed. [:I]

Most revolvers don't have safeties and buckets of European revolvers have been brought in.

I'd say it's most likely hogwash.
    To operate the Mosin safety, grab the big knob at the rear, pull back, and rotate. Not very ergonomic, but perfectly functional.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rules are all over the place on this one. Sometimes a gun cannot be imported until a safety has been installed. The Tokarev
    TT33's from Poland are a great example of this.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The M91/30 has a positive safety: Pull the cocking knob back until it can be rotated to the left and the safety is applied.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mike Fink
    Just recently admired one of these great old rifles and was told by the owner that it had no safety- or at least none that he could find. I didn't think it was legal to have a rifle with no safety, imported into the US. Please set me straight if I am wrong. Thanks, Mike

As already mentioned, I think this is doubly wrong.

I think it IS legal to import a gun with no external safety. I'm absolutely sure that many such guns have been imported (ie pretty much any revolver, etc).

In any case, as mentioned, the Mosin rifle does have a safety.

You pull back on the cocking knob, and rotate it counterclockwise. This positively locks the cocking apparatus rearwards, preventing a primer strike.

To take the gun off safe, pull back again then rotate the knob clockwise.

Note that while this safety does actually work, its pretty stiff, and it can be next to impossible to operate if wet or with cold/stiff fingers. Ergonomics wasn't exactly a big science in 19th century Russia when these guns were designed!

Some individuals weld a ring onto the back of the cocking knob to make this safety feature easier to use. EG:

229_3000.JPG
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

I think it IS legal to import a gun with no external safety. I'm absolutely sure that many such guns have been imported (ie pretty much any revolver, etc).

You pull back on the cocking knob, and rotate it counterclockwise. This positively locks the cocking apparatus rearwards, preventing a primer strike.

Note that while this safety does actually work, its pretty stiff, and it can be next to impossible to operate if wet or with cold/stiff fingers. Ergonomics wasn't exactly a big science in 19th century Russia when these guns were designed!

Some individuals weld a ring onto the back of the cocking knob to make this safety feature easier to use. EG:

229_3000.JPG
    That is a pretty ingenuitive solution to a 100+ year old problem.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

229_3000.JPG
    That is a pretty ingenuitive solution to a 100+ year old problem.

The SCHMIDT RUBIN K31 did it 100 years ago. that MAY be the ring from one.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bean, who makes those mounts?
    I like that style of safety pull ring too! Making your own, like this one, is fairly easy.

Scope.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like the rings a lot!( the safety rings)(scope rings too!) I have notified the owner and told him to take a look at the post. There is enough information on this small thread to keep me busy all winter. Thanks again folks.-Mike