In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington Model 11

codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a Rem. M11 that has a 28" cyl. bore. Is this factory?
It is a 28" solid rib barrel, and is marked CYL underneath
the barrel, right in front of the extension.

Comments

• codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    can anyone tell me how to find out the date and value of an old model-11 12 gauge marked military finish? serial #701645 the barrel has no #'s on the left side?
    edited November -1
    Today I found one of these old shotguns & it's diffrerent from any of the others I own. On the left side upper part of the reciever it's stamped US Military Finish. The charging handle has Model 11 stamped into it. The shop owner says he will take $170.00 for it. The shotgun is 70%. $170.00 sounds high to me. Is this variant worth more than the others? Any help is appreciated.
    edited November -1
    i have reningtom model 11 that when i load the mag tube and pull the bolt to load it it will let the shell come out of the mag tube about 3/4'' and lock up the action---[ i have cleaned it did not help it] any help? thanks
    edited November -1
    It is a 3 barrel set with solid ribs ( 26 Ic 28 F 32 F) 75 percent blue or better. Wood has pad added and small crack in wrist. It is a 20 gauge. How much do the extra barrels help the value?

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
    edited November -1
    Are all model 11 barrels interchangable? I know that there is a pre-war model......and then the post war model. I thought the only difference is the safety.
    edited November -1
    Was given a Remington Model 11 (I think) Ser No. 29929. The barrel is marked cyl on the left side near the receiver and has the Remington markings (Remington Arms Co) on the L/H side of the barrel. Other than this there are no other markings. Nothing on the side of the receiver or bolt. No ordinance markings on the wood or metal. It has the inside the trigger guard safety.

There is a replacement slip-on recoil pad (now removed-no butt plate) the wood is in pretty good shape, metal is fair-light rust and patina. Easily cleaned up.

Clues as to DOM and value???? Any leads on a replacement butt-plate? Were any of these made for other brands, thus lacking some of the standard markings?
    edited November -1
    Please excuse my errors, I just joined the forum 30 minutes ago. I inherited a Remington Model 11 (not on the gun that I can find) 12ga. 30" FULL with the letters CRR on the left side barrel and SN 7352XX. I saw one similar in a gun shop about 6 months ago for $150, and yesterday I returned and its still there. So, what have I got and what good is it. I understand no steel shot, and nobody I know would lug it around a wheatfield. If it is worth <$100, I have considered cutting the barrel to 18", carving a pistol grip, and sitting up nights with the hope that somebody will kick in my front door. Any suggestions? Is it likely anyone would want it for something better? Thanks, bummy268.
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if a stock from a remington Model 11 with the safety inside the trigger guard is the same as one with the safety at the rear of the trigger guard? Are they interchangable?
    edited November -1
    What parts are interchangeable between the Remington Model 11 and the Browning A5?
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I have a 20 Gauge Remington Model 11. It looks exactly like a browning a-5. The Previous Owner hacked the barrel to 19 inches. My question is I can't find a Remington model 11 barrel for it anywhere. I am looking for 24-26 inches. Will a browning a-5 barrel fit? Thanks!

-JD
    edited November -1
    I recently picked up a Model 11 , 70-80%
    but it is marked on reciever , "property of us navy"

what doe this do to the value ?

it has two barrels , a long one , and a short one , which one was with the gun , anyway of telling ?

Thanks
    Ken
    edited November -1
    I am trying to remove the stock on a Rem. Model 11. My manual says to remove the two bottom tang screws, and the stock should slide right off. I can get it to wiggle side to side a little, but won't budge going back. There's gotta be a trick to get this off somehow???
    Thanks for your help.
    edited November -1
    I'm not too gun savy so please bare with me! I went to a pawn shop to buy a shotgun to hunt with and was shown a Remington Model 11 made in 1939. It was in pretty good shape to my untrained eye. I have since gone to the Remington website and have learned that there were several versions of this gun. I don't remember if there was any engraving on the reciever or stock checkering on the gun I saw. So my questions are: is this gun worth the $200 price? Would it ge a good general purpose gun for Turkey or possible Deer? If it breaks, is it easy to have it fixed? Thanks to all for any guidance you can offer.
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired a Remington Model 11 in 12 ga. with a solid rib. The serial number on the bottom front of the receiver appears to be 774139. It's a little hard to read, so it could be D74139. I'd appreciate it if someone could translate that to the date of manufacture. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Need DOB for a Remington model 11.. 52662 thanks in advance.
    edited November -1
    I have an old Remington model 11 shotgun(riot gun), there are engravings on the side of a pheasant. The forestock has a small crack on it. I was wondering how much this would be worth.
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington Model 11 20 gauge that is built with a Browning patent. I have been looking for a barrel and parts for it. I am curious if Browning parts will enter change with it, and if so which model. Any information or parts would be appreciated. I have ran many many wants ads for it with no results. Thank You, Corren
    edited November -1
    Anyone have an idea of the stud or pin that fits between the forend and the receiver to align the forend with the receiver?
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 11 Remington marked with "Property U.S.Navy"
    that needs a barrel with the CUTTS Compensator. Is their a difference between the Model 11 and the "SPORTSMAN" barrels?
    Thanx for help..... I know squat about shotguns and want to acquire a "correct" barrel with Cutts for this WWII veteran
    Roger Curl roger_curl@msn.com
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The date of manufacture of most Remington firearms can be determined by a date code on the barrel just forward of the receiver. It will be something like E N or D K. Follow the link to a site that gives the codes for the year and month. First letter indicates month and second letter or letters indicates year.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

Early model 11's didn't have the model or makers name on the receiver. It is a Remington model ll in all probability.

There is not a lot of value in the gun you describe. I would say $150. Buttplates can be found but the best option might be to install a recoil pad.
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Experts will advise shortly, but check the barrels serial #. It's under the barrel and behind the ring that slips over the magazine tube. If it matches the serial # on the receiver you have a more collectible gun than one that is mismatched.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks as though Numrich has the butt plate. Both take-off and aftermarket. Scroll down to item #73.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=5642

You definitely need to verify that the barrel number matches the receiver number. Many of the barrels were swapped around and without a numbers matching barrel a DOM search would be useless. It would only tell you when the barrel was made. You can further verify numbers match by removing the butt stock. 11's of that vintage also have the ser# struck on the side of the lower tang.

Yes, Remington did manufacture this Type for one other brand name. Those, however, are all marked Browning. Remington made the Browning A5 during the war years while Belgium was occupied by the Germans.

As a side note, and I mention this to all who have aquired their forst M11. You need to determine whether or not the recoil cushion is in it and if it is what condition it is in. If the cushion isn't there there is risk of cracking the receiver when it is fired.
    The cushion is located in the rear of the receiver behind the bolt and looks like a peice of brake shoe lining with a rivet in the middle of it.
    edited November -1
    Barrel number matches that under the receiver. Remington Autoloading Shotgun pretty much the same?

Would the correct butt plate be black or brown?
  • leoleo Member Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be light & dark brown. I got one from The Gun Garage in Siloam Springs. 479-524-2038