In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

T/C Venture

Hunter7mmHunter7mm Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
I bought a T/C Venture in 22-250 Rem, all the descriptions I read about it said it had a 24" barrel which is what I was looking for. Even the book at Wal-Mart where I ordered it indicated a 24" barrel. After getting it home I looked at the barrel and it seemed a little short, being I own several rifles with 24" barrels. I then measured it from the bolt face to the end of the barrel and it lost 2" of barrel, this one only has a 22" barrel.[:0][?][V] Is this a knock off made by someone else? Do I need to return it? Any help? I need to say Wal-Mart is being good about resolving this problem even though they were duped just like me. I would still like to get the rifle I ordered and why would T/C do something like this and not let everyone know, will they replace the barrel with one that is 24"? I sent an e-mail to T/C's Customer Service, it has been a week now and no replay!

Thanks and a disappointed customer,[:(!]

Mel

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Any feedback on the T/C venture. Priced very nice and from a reputable company. Anybody had any experience with them?
  • Options
    roadchoadroadchoad Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it's chhambered in 22-250? Maybe you got the wrong barrel...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, the barrel is stamped "22-250" but I didn't trust that so I checked the chamber and its 22-250 for sure. Don't know what the deal is with the 22" barrel, maybe T/C made 2 different models of the Venture but I can only find one listed on there web site (other then the Predator) and it doesn't have the barrel length listed. Everywhere else list a 24" barrel for the Venture?[?][xx(]
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JSC Number

TCG5561
    Manufacturer

THOMPSON/CENTER ARMS [Website]
    Man. Number

Title

T/C VENTURE 22-250 24" BLK/BLK
    Description

T/C VENTURE 22-250 REM BOLT ACTION RIFLE, 24" BARREL, BLACK/BLACK, 3 RND MAGAZINE WITH BASES
    Quantity Price

None
    Price Each

$386.50

Walmart will not take a firearm back to my knowledge ..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just thought I would up date everyone. I just got off the phone with Customer Service at T/C and I was told that the short action like the 22-250 Venture has never been made with a 24" barrel and has always been a 22" barrel. So if you think you have a T/C Venture in 22-250 with a 24" barrel according to T/C Customer Service you don't, it is only 22". Funny that there is a whole lot of people that are wrong about this one telling everyone that it has a 24" barrel when it is only 22" or could it be that T/C is wrong?[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just to let everyone know Wal-Mart took the rifle back with full refund. Something they would not normally do, but being it was not as described it was better then being sued.[:D]
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting incident. I'm glad you told us about it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would 2" have made a lot of difference in your shooting?
    What is your second choice to get the barrel length you want?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would have lost about 100fps velocity.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to work for Dick's (the most appropriately named sporting goods store on earth) and the knownothings that put our order catalogs together were idiots; that's as charitable to them as I can be. There was an issue in the descriptions/pictures about %50 of the time, kid you not! Obviously not your local retailers fault; still very glad to hear they made good by you! The only thing I ever got to take back at Dick's in terms of guns and ammo was a box of Remington 12ga shotshells that had about a half dozen primers missing. Also, two of the rounds that he had tried went "pop": had no flash hole after I dissasembled them. Manager "made an exception" for him...how very kind of him, eh? I left pretty soon thereafter when they refused to help a guy where my Hardlines Manager dropped his gun (a really nice Silver Pidgeon) that was being sent in for repair. Pressed a "3 square of the checkering on the forearm flat, put several scratches and pin dings in the barrel and a "2 long hairline crack at the tang. He sent it on in to Berretta (after I told him I would see him swing for it...and I DID) for the requested, WARRANTEED repair. Well, the guys at Berretta, not being developmentally disabled, took one look at the damage, and assumed the barrel selector switch issue to be related to the damage that was evident. They called the * Whole manager in question, who authorized ALL the repairs and when it came back, there was a $500 bill with the gun. The little jerk tried to hand the customer the bill, at which point said customer called me. I came in on my day off and in front of God and everybody, told all in no uncertain terms I had witnessed this stroke DAMAGE the gun with my own eyes, and that if this customer wanted to attempt recourse, I would be happy to go to court for him. $550 repair bill eaten, but Dick's did not fire him. An organization utterly devoid of any concience. That was enough for me and I quit a week later.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found out that some of the bigger dealers had ordered from T/C the Venture in 22-250 with 24" fluted barrels. This is a special make up by T/C for the dealers who ordered a set number or more of these guns and is not the normal production run for the short action Venture by T/C. Something like this is what I thought it was all about and the people who work for some of the big gun suppliers don't know about this. The person who handles the guns at Wal-Mart I can say did a lot more then most and I can see that Wal-Mart has an excellent employee in that person. I still in the future will deal with them if it came down to it.

As far as what would be my 2nd pick I don't have many choices because getting a new rifle for $500 or less is that most if not all have 22" barrels. But I found one of those Venture's with the 24" fluted barrel at a good price and it is on its way.

As to why I wanted the 24" over the 22", mostly just me but I have shot factory loads through 22", 24", and 26" barrels using a chronograph. The 22" produced velocities 200 to 300 fps slower then the listed velocity for the load. The 24" produced velocities of + or - 50 fps of listed velocity and the 26" produced velocities 200 to 300 fps faster then listed velocity. So now comes into play mobility, being able to get in and out of my truck without bumping and hanging on everything or just moving around with the rifle. A 22" will give you excellent mobility and a rifle with even shorter barrel say 20" or 18" will give you even better, but with less bullet velocity. The 24" gives you good mobility and good velocity, the 26" gives you excellent bullet velocity but with poor mobility.

Now as far as the .224 bullet goes, most people shoot 40 to 55 grain bullets. Even if the bullet has a high BC it will bleed velocity off faster then say a 100 or 125 grain bullet, so to maintain the best velocity say at 300 yards you have to start faster then you would with a heavier bullet. This relates to energy which is velocity combined with weight (for weight; mass times the acceleration of gravity, physics 101[:D]) this means there is only 2 ways to increase the energy. 1 by increasing the bullets weight (mass) and keeping the velocity the same or 2 increasing the velocity and keeping the bullet weight the same. Number 2 is the most popular choice. Since I reload I can work on this to come up with what I feel like would be the best load for the rifle. Also velocity relates to hang time and the faster it starts out the less hang time I will have (shoots flatter). As far as accuracy goes I don't think it matters much taking me out of the equation, I think all rifles today are capable of excellent accuracy.

I know this is a long read but maybe this will give you some idea to my madness.[:o)] This is just a hobby to me and I know that most animals hit with a bullet that is 300 fps slower then mine won't know the differences as long as it is in the right spot. Good shooting and hunting as well as thanks for all the comments.