In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Mod. 55

beefbeef Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am wondering what a Winchester Model 55 22 cal. is worth.
This is a strange rifle, top load single shot but automatically ejects the empty cartridge? I haven't seen the rifle but this is the information I have.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    These were mildly interesting little rifles in production from the late 1950's into the early 1960's with around 50,000 produced. This is not a huge number of guns but there is little real collector interest in these Model 55 rimfires (there was also a Model 55 centerfire lever action rifle which is VERY collectible) so around $200 should allow you to purchase a brand new example (if such still exists) with the box and hang tag. For used rifles the values can fall off by 50% pretty quickly when condition drops to "shooter" grade since these Model 55s were not exactly tack-drivers.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    beefbeef Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't think there was any great value but I may get it as part of a trade and not much information is available.
    It might be fun to shoot and if it is odd it might be decent trading material !!
    Thanks
  • Options
    BROBRO Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAVE OWNED THIS RIFLE SINCE 1954. STILL USE IT TO HUNT SMALL GAME. BEST SHOOTING 22 RIFLE I HAVE OWNED. ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO I WENT TO A GUN DEALER TO HAVE A SMALL 4X, SIDE MOUNT SCOPE PLACE ON IT. THE DEALER REFUSED TO PUT A MOUNT ON IT AND OFFERED ME ANY 22 RIFLE IN HIS SHOP IN TRADE. ME AND MY WINCHESTER 55 ARE STILL TOGETHER.
  • Options
    jakelinjakelin Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of them and disagree that they are inaccurate. They are at least as good as any other iron sighted .22 like Marlins, Savages, etc.. They fire from an open bolt, so this may be a consideration but they will shoot very nicely at any range a .22 is good for. The cocking lever is on the right side- this is pulled back for the first shot- it spring returns to the front position, leaving the bolt to the rear. The cartridge is placed on the grooved nylon top cover over the loading port and the nose pressed down and then it is thumbed into the chamber, the cover closes as soon as pressure is released. Pressing down the loading cover automatically puts the safety on. Push off the thumb safety and shoot; the empty is ejected from the bottom of the rifle leaving the bolt open and ready for a reload. It is a very clever design and quite safe. After the last shot, you can either pull back the cocking lever and use it to ease the bolt home, or just pull the trigger on an empty chamber.

John