In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1935-1939 S&W 357 revolver

stang1stang1 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
I called S&W, gave them the ser# and they said it was made between 1935-1939.
It is a blued revolver, with a 6 or 6 1/2 barrel, elevated front sight with a gold dot, checkering on the top of the frame & hammer, and the inside of the grips have the ser # written in pen. Any ideas???
Thanks Brent

Comments

• Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    w/only the serial number it can not be determined if you have a "Registered" or "non-Registered" 357

Your barrels right side shoud be marked "S&W .357 Magnum"

Revolvers were fit with adjustable rear sights checkered and contoured to the frame. There were 7 different front sight options.

The Registered serial numbers are in the 44 hand ejector 3rd Model series, reportedly running from 45768 to 62489, but there is some disagreement about the ending number. All told there were approximately 5,200 made between 1935 and 1939.

Inside the yoke cut are the registration numbers and if it is a "Registered" model the number should start w/ REG

The "non-Registered" is actually more scarce than the "Registered" as only about 1,400 were produced from 1935 to 1941 and while they fall in the same s/n band mentioned above but the reg number is not stamped in the yoke cut.

"Registered" models run $1,200 to $1,400+ for top condition pieces with boxes, registration letter, etc.

"Non-Registered" will run about the same.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Inside the yoke is stamped Reg 1122, serial # is 48xxx.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Per s/n given the mfg. year was 1937

Referencing the Standard Catalog of S&W if one were to figure all of the combinations of options avail. with these revolvers that number would exceed 21,000[:0]

You've got yourself one fine revolver!

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Contender,
    Thanks for the info. I spoke with the S&W historian this morning, and he stated that it was indeed a pre-WWII, manufactured in 1937.
    He also stated that the value, depending on condition, could range from $500- $2000. For $30, he is going into the archives and retrieve the history for me, how cool!!
    And the real kicker...........I picked it up at a yard sale for $50.
    WHAT A FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Brent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brent,

I liked you up to the last comment![:D] I've caught a couple good deals in the past 30+ years, but nothing on the order of that.[:(]

You didn't mention if the registration certficate or any other stuff came w/ the revolver, but whatever, if anything will only add to value. Some collectors maintain that a registration certificate will add $500 to the value ... I'm not sure I will completely go along with that, but they do add value and that's why there are a lot of forgeries out there.

As for the S&W letter, YES, by all means get one as they too add value. You've got a great revolver there, enjoy it!

2470099-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got the History certificate yesterday from S&W!
    The pistol was shipped from the factory in May of 1936 to a company in Texas. It was one of the first ones ever made.
    I will probablly be putting it up for sale, as I really don't collect, but would much rather shoot. I would like to see somone get it that could put it into some type of collection, so if anyone knows of some one interested in it.........
    Thanks again Brent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Glad you got your documentation. Now that letter along with any other paper that you got with the revolver will add value.

We can't offer to sell or buy on this forum, but you certainly can put the revolver up for auction here on GB. If you've never done this, drop me an email (icon above) and I'll help you assemble your description, give you pointers on how the auction works, etc.

Although with all of that said, you have quite a collectors piece there and the value isn't going to go down if you sit on it for a while and think over what you would really like to do.

Anyway if you want some auction help, give me an email.

2470099-S.jpg
  • Options
    kwill1911kwill1911 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    stang1,
    I usually can't afford to collect these but I love to collect information about them. If you don't mind answering a few questions about your RM, please email me at kevin@kwill.com.
    Thanks.