In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Henry Rifle

leaddispencerleaddispencer Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone recommend a good book on collecting the henry rifle. I have the book "The Historic Henry Rifle: Oliver Winchester's Famous Civil War Repeater" but it has more information on the guns history than information for the collector. I am looking for a book with serial number ranges, details on the guns of those ranges, proper markings, what to look for... And the likes. Also can someone explain to me what the "henry bump" in the stock is? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    My brother has a lot of rifles, going trough them today I found a brass bodied rifle(no stock and the barrel a little rusty)

It looks just like a henry rifle but I cant imagine him ever haing the money for one.

It has a serial number on the bottom of 45329

Is there a way to research this to see if its real or a reproduction?

It appears to be about 45 cal and it had some papers taped aroud it with numbers on them 4356, 4342,4396..noo idea if they are related but they are taped to the barrel

the brass is in better hape than this one but it has no stock or trigger
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if records are available for Henry Rifles from Cody?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Ed Konopasek
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello leaddispencer...

I am not personally aware of a single reference book that details the specific features and information that you are seeking. However, George Madis' tome "The Winchester Book" has a chapter dedicated to the Henry, and he does mention some of what you are looking for.

Detailed serial number information does not exist either, nor is it known exactly how many of them were made. There was a reputed overlap in the serial numbers with the Winchester Model 1866 according to most authors, but at least one author does not agree with that bit of published information.

The "Henry Bump" is an oddity that occurs on the buttstock of those rifles that have a sling swivel mounted on the side of the buttstock (versus on the bottom). It is not something that can readily be seen with the naked eye, but it can be felt when running your finger tips over the area just below the sling swivel. Why or exactly how it was formed is unknown. It has been a frequent topic of discussion amongst several of my acquaintances (one of whom specializes in restoration work on them), and as of yet, no factual conclusions have been arrived at.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!