In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions on Hi-Point firearms

brimickribrimickri Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
I seen a Hi-Point 9mm carbine at a gun show two weeks ago, and I am wondering if they're worth having. I also looked on their website and their prices are DIRT CHEAP!! They say they are made in USA, and they also say they are 100% guaranteed forever, whether you bought it new, or your the third owner, it's covered. Does anyone have info they would like to share?? I was also looking at buying one of their handguns as well, seeing that my gun fund is running on empty, I can swing a couple 100 dollars for a decent handgun.

Comments

• Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey. Yeah, I had one of their 9mm carbines for a while. It actually was the first firearm I ever bought when I was old enough to do so. I liked it a lot. They're made in Mansfield Ohio I believe. I sent in and got a compensator for it which, I don't know if it did much more than make it look cooler. Once the compensator was on, it has a rail on the bottom that I mounted a laser on with the button back on the stock where your thumb is. Had a lot of fun with it. Shot probably 500+ rounds with it. Can't ever remember one jamming. Loved the sights on it. Made 9mm bullets very accurate even out at 100 yards. They only come with one 10 rnd clip. Very comfortable to hold and shoot but based on the simplicity, easy to tell why it's only worth 160 nib. Was not a fan of the trigger pull on it but it didn't matter much. But anyway, I'm speaking in the past tense because I just sold it to a guy at work a month ago, only because I needed some extra cash to go towards a Remington 700 BDL LSS/SS 7mm mag that I fell in love with and had to have. I got bored with it and didn't take it out as much because of all my other stuff and decided I had to have a pretty bolt action. Have seen a lot of people buying those carbines up at gun shows. You'd be happy with it if you got it. I'll look back here tomorrow if you've got any questions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I searched back and I don't hear anything good about them, so I decided to skip it. I'll save up for something better, Thanks though.
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a lot more, but if you are in the market for a 9mm carbine, try a Beretta Storm. It takes standard M92 mags, (30 rounders are easily gotten), and is highly ergonomic, reliable, and accurate, and looks really futuristic!

If you haven't got that kinda dough, take a look at the Kel-Tec carbine.

"Go to the Lakedaemonians, stranger passing by;
    And say that in obedience to their laws, here we lie"
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    brim,
    I can't say that my HiPoint carbine has been 100% jam-free,but it lives behind the seat in my truck.Every so often,I take it out,blow it out with air and give it a dose of Rem-oil.It seems to like plain old cheapest I can find Winchester FMJ ammo the best.I got it for $100 at a Pawn Shop and have been very pleased with it for what I use it for.100%?? NO!! 95% At least.[^][^]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    boltthrowerboltthrower Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seeing as how your funds are low, unless your in dire need of self protection, perhaps investing in some self-help material for better financial prosperity would be a better choice for you.
  • Options
    hatchettmanhatchettman Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the hi-point firearms are exactly what they are, a low grade, low price gun. i can only compare them to motorcycle helmets. if you got a $10.00 head, buy a $10.00 helmet!!! hate to be so negative but thats life. save your money and buy quality!!!!
  • Options
    azgunnut2@yahoo.comazgunnut2@yahoo.com Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well ??? lets see , in a word : JUNK !!!!! we dont sell them and or try to work on them .....Buy something better ....

Join / Support the NRA
    Guns are my friends !!!

Gunsmith / LEO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, guys, you make it sound like I live in the gutter. I don't need self-help for my financial situation. I have spent 8,000.00 in the last week to remodel a bathroom and the kitchen in my house. That's the main reason I cannot afford arms at this time. I hate this time of year, nothing to hunt, so the wife gives me odd jobs to do!!
  • Options
    boltthrowerboltthrower Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didnt mean to make you out to be trailer trash, just sounded like you didnt have alot of cash to play with and that a gun might not be your best investment with what you did have to spend.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An friend of mine had one. Actually was pretty accurate at 100 yards. Would I buy one? Not no but Heck No.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg