In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hungarian Steyr Mannlicher 8x56R

recon5recon5 Member Posts: 199 ✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
what is the value of a stright pull military carbine in outstanding condition this is a pre WW-2 carbine in 8X56R, I understand the ammo is hard to come by? I look forward to your comments.

Comments

• Options
    oldammooldammo Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 8x56r ammo is rather common and the German wartime ammo goes for $4 or $5 a box. Go to the ammo section on Gun broker and search 8x56* and you will find 8 or 10 auctions for it. The 8x56 MS or Mannlicher-Schoenauer is not common in the US and has been going for a relitively high price you will probably see some if you do the same search.

Old Ammo, have lots always looking for more.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guys on this board, specialize in the Mannlicher Model 1895, straight pull carbine your inquiring about. They'll be able to answer your questions.

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm81

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of depends on if it's a pre or post import marked gun. These little carbines were redone before WWII for the Austrian military and became a second line gun for the NAzi's. There were going for less than $100 dollars a while back at SOG. These guns were for the most part really nice looking. The one I kept of the 3 I had looks to have been converted (as evidenced by the large "S" in front of the reciever ring on barrel) from the old 8x50 R to the S31 8x56R cartridge and never reissued. They were used quite often by police and militia units. If the one you have is Hungarian it would be marked Budapest and not Steyr. The Hungarians and Austrians used the same stuff for many years and the cartridge got called the 8x56 Hungarian for some reason. The most I've seen one of these go for was $225 aand it was about the same condition as the Steyr I have...I paid $89 plus shipping! They are neat little guns and kick like a mule! Very light (6 lbs. or so) and a fairly powerful round. They are a bummer to reload for but you CAN get brass from Graf, dies from Lee and bullets (odd diameter... .329 I believe) from several sources although it is all quite expensive! Check out the site related to you earlier; they are a good source of info as is www.surplusrifle.com.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I had one that I couldn't give away. It was in like new condition and I finally sold it to a vendor at a gunshow for 75.00 bucks.....

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgdd.art
    Charlie
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I gave mine to a friend since a box of ammo cost more than the gun. They are neat guns. Very light and they have a nice feel. Very quick to aim.

Larry
    runroom_x.gif