In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

UPS Shipping

ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
I got this off another forum.Anyone know anything about this?

"I spent some time looking into this today. I called UPS and spoke with a supervisor. I asked about separating a pistol into 2 separate boxes for shipping. Even though the frame is legally considered a firearm, UPS does not consider it a firearm if it is not a functioning weapon. It IS permissible to separate your pistol or revolver into 2 boxes and ship them by UPS Ground as "firearm parts" as long as neither box contains a functioning firearm. Even better, you can ship "firearms parts" from any authorized UPS shipper such as The UPS Store.
I contacted Fed Ex and they will not allow any firearm, assembled or disassembled, to be shipped by Fed Ex Ground. It must be shipped by Fed Ex Priority Overnight."

Eagle_Guns.gif
standard.jpg
And Remember a Wet Dog Dosen't Fly at Night
ATF,Eagle Guns

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I want to ship my barreled action out of state to be repaired.
    The repair shop has no FFL. UPS wants a FFL to ship.
    Any options??
    Thank you much,

Bill
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well that would be great. But the ffl dealer would get cut out, because then he couldnt ship your pistol for you. Pistols can only be shipped from ffl dealer to ffl dealer..Lets see what developes..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TEd,I don't know what you mean about the FFL dealer being cut out?
    I am an FFL dealer.
    [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    And Remember a Wet Dog Dosen't Fly at Night
    ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    edited November -1
    us55840,Please show me that post where you said that?
    [?]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    And Remember a Wet Dog Doesn't Fly at Night
    ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Art,
    I suggest shipping the same way UPS dictates-overnight.
    Your question will not likely ever be answered correctly.
    I still ship overnight.
    You do not even want to go to the other posts. I did review and did not respond. Everyone is an expert! Let the other "experts" argue
    among themselves. Still like your eagle!
    101, Angeles Arms
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ATF, it looked to me like the law permitted the shipping of "parts" as has been suggested, so I wrote to ATF for a legal opinion. I received this response from the chief, Firearms Enforcement Branch:

"The GCA specifies under Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(3), that a firearm frame or receiver is also considered to be a "firearm" under Federal firearms law. Therefore, the GCA provisions governing shipments of handgun frames or receivers would be applicable in exactly the same way as they are to complete handguns."

In any case, there is nothing in the UPS tariff that says that they do not consider a receiver to be a firearm. On the contrary, they specifically state that all Federal regulations apply to the shipment of firearms by them.

While a nonlicensee can legally ship a firearm to a licensee, Federal law requires the shipping nonlicensee to notify the common carrier that the package contains a firearm. Declaring a receiver to be a "firearm part" would be a violation of the law. Hardly worth the pain that could cause just to save $30.

Neal
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    ATF, it looked to me like the law permitted the shipping of "parts" as has been suggested, so I wrote to ATF for a legal opinion. I received this response from the chief, Firearms Enforcement Branch:

"The GCA specifies under Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(3), that a firearm frame or receiver is also considered to be a "firearm" under Federal firearms law. Therefore, the GCA provisions governing shipments of handgun frames or receivers would be applicable in exactly the same way as they are to complete handguns."

In any case, there is nothing in the UPS tariff that says that they do not consider a receiver to be a firearm. On the contrary, they specifically state that all Federal regulations apply to the shipment of firearms by them.

While a nonlicensee can legally ship a firearm to a licensee, Federal law requires the shipping nonlicensee to notify the common carrier that the package contains a firearm. Declaring a receiver to be a "firearm part" would be a violation of the law. Hardly worth the pain that could cause just to save $30.

Neal

The declaration would only be required when shipping to a nonlicensee. It's not required when shipping to an FFL holder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TED GAR
    Well that would be great. But the ffl dealer would get cut out, because then he couldnt ship your pistol for you. Pistols can only be shipped from ffl dealer to ffl dealer..Lets see what developes..

There is no requirment in Federal law for any firearms to be shipped by a licensee. Only the recipient needs to be licensed, and there are even exceptions to that requirement. I have a letter from the Firearms Technology Branch of BATF in DC confirming that fact.
  • Options
    quartermasterBCquartermasterBC Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.fedex.com/us/services/ground/termsandconditions/firearmsus.html

Read the text at the link.

FedEx Ground WILL ship a long gun. I have done so. There is, however, no guarantee that the FedEx counter attendant will fully understand the company policy. As a non-licensee, FedEx has become my carrier of choice for shipping both handguns and long guns. Handgun shipping by Priority Overnight is not inexpensive as many of you already know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by TED GAR

My my - hope you don't get lambasted as a troll, etc. like I did a few days ago when I said the same thing. GOOD LUCK!!

That's because you were wrong![8D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Forget it,Sorry I brought it up[:(].I have no intention of doing this.I was just quoting a post on another forum and wondered if anyone had heard of it.Myers you're way off the track!I know all about what is and what is not a firearm .Federal Law has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

[:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    And Remember a Wet Dog Doesn't Fly at Night
    ATF,Eagle Guns