In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finish----OD Green vs. Parkerized

CrousetrodomisCrousetrodomis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at a Springfield Mil-spec 1911 on the internet, not necesserally shopping, when I came across one with an OD Green finish. I know that parkerized is generally the way to go, but does anyone know how good the OD finish is?? Now, i'm just trying to get into the 1911's and have done quite a bit of research for my first one. (just thought OD might be kind of cool) Any thoughts????

"Huh, I never made the connection....Mr. Obvious, you're a life saver."

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only "Green Finish" pistols I've run across recently have been the ones with plastic frames. Don't seem like it would be a "Mil-Spec".1911.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    CrousetrodomisCrousetrodomis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9609LLarge.jpg

I know it wouldnt quite be mil-spec, but then again, unfortunately, i'm not in the military. My little brother, who is (Army 2-2), would like it though. I've thought about buying him one as well, just as a token for bringing his * back in one piece. (currently in Iraq.)

"Huh, I never made the connection....Mr. Obvious, you're a life saver."
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that to be green parkerization, although it could be one of the new "wunder-finishes" that seem to be all the rage. I you look around at certain kinds of firearms (the '03A3 being a really good example) you will see them offered in gray, black AND green parkerization finishes.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)