In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Class III

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any idea what it costs to get a Class III FFL? Not interested myself but the topic came up in a discussion recently. Guesstimates were in the $3k a year range.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is needed to get a Class III ?
    What does it permit (I know full-auto) dealer or owner ?
    How difficult is it and how much ? Have a C&R but want to expand.
    What are the other FFL grades ?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of questions about getting a full auto gun,1. can I get a AK-47 or SKS I allready own converted to full auto? 2.If so,where is the best place to get it done. I should have no trouble with the paper work in the area I live in,and I allready have a FFL....just not sure if there was a cut off date as to when no more full autos could be made.I am more of a hunting and tack driver type shooter.Thanks for the help.Oro
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What does it take to get a Class III permit, besides $600?
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you want to be a class 3 dealer or own a class 3 weapon? I would think that you aren't looking for a dealer license or you would be more familiar with the laws. You don't get a class 3 permit for $600. What you can do is buy a class 3 weapon and apply for a fed. permit for that piece only. The cost is $200.00 and the process takes a few months. If you think $200.00 is high for the permit (it's actually a $200.00 USPS stamp on a fed form) consider the price of the weapon itself!

These items have no useful value (except maybe investment potential) but are fun to shoot. You will find this limited to only a few places. Try this in your back yard and see what happens! I go to Knob Creek, TN twice a year.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You're right: I'm not looking to deal in Class III. How is it that you can buy the weapon before you get a permit for it? Doesn't that cause problems if local law enforcement finds it?

In case it wasn't already obvious, I have no background with any of the NFA, so more info would be appreciated.

Yeah, I wouldn't be dumb enough to use anything in my back yard, cause now an air rifle will get me a felony conviction. Land of the Free? HOW???
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUST CALL A CLASS III DEALER IN YOUR AREA. THEY WILL GUIDE YOU WITH YOUR EFFORTS TO BUY A CLASS III ITEM. GOOD LUCK.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastwood44mag
    You're right: I'm not looking to deal in Class III. How is it that you can buy the weapon before you get a permit for it? Doesn't that cause problems if local law enforcement finds it?

you buy it, but you don't get to take it home. In other words you pay for it then submit paperwork to ATF for approval. Paperwork consists of photos, fingerprints, LE signoff, etc. Corporate ownership route is less paperwork. Send it in with the $200 tax and hopefully the transfer is approved after about 90 days. THEN you get to have your NFA item.

vipersig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah, now I understand. You guys are the best.
  • Options
    treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote:I go to Knob Creek, TN twice a year

When was it moved to TN?

TD
  • Options
    staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as cbxjeff poined ot and the following website illustrates, Knob Creek Range is NOT in Tn.

It is in the great whiskey state of Kentucky

Knob Creek Gun Range is Located 1 mile off of Dixie Highway on Highway 44. Our mailing Address is: Knob Creek Gun Range, 690 Ritchey Lane West Point, KY. 40177. (obtained from http://www.knobcreekrange.com/)

sorry to call your bluff . . .
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got me guys. KY is the place. I posted the last couple of meets if anyone was going. I think I got only one reply. A lot of nice (& expensive) stuff there for sale. A lot of junk too.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.