In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sportsman 58

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I knew of a machinist who fixed his so that it didn't jam every other shot, but I don't know how he did it (and I think he died 15 years ago, at least). Anyone know how? I'll save you the worries: I'd find someone competent to do the work, I won't try it myself. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    define jam? second shell, 1/2 in 1/2 out, wont cycle after firing????
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the magazine cap there are lines with H and L on the cap, that is your gas regulation device for high power or low power shells,try shooting in all positions with the shells you are going to be using, that usually solves the feeding problem, and I have three 58's in all guages,and thats what I did, good luck...

GO BIG ORANGE !!
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a Remington 58 Sportsman since I was 12 years old, witch was was a very long time ago. I have drug this 12 ga through salt marshes, the deer woods, swamps and goose hunting in Kentucky. I have never had a jaming problem unless I had the gas port on the barrel cap turned to the wrong setting. If you are useing less than maxloads on your powder, put the dial on the barrel cap on L, Max load of powder put the dial on H. I have experanced s problem with the hammer not closing but this is due to the wear on the trigger system, it is a old shotgun and I have learned to just deal with this litte anoance. This was my dad's first shot gun he purchased on his own and I have now passed it to my son. And yer it still shoots just as good as a new shotgun so I do not see any reason to retire it.

Hornet
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if it was the gas port setting he would have problems every shot. he's having problems every OTHER shot. 90% of all 58 loading and firing problems are trigger group problems.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the deal - until the original poster can explain what he means by 'jam' everybody is just guessing.

Failure to feed onto the carrier, failure to feed up into the chamber, failure to extract, failure to eject...

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, sorry to be so long in defining it better. What's happening is the next shell is loading before the last shell ejects, so I have one spent shell and one live shell in the chamber at the same time, and it's sometimes difficult to remove the spent shell. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory ammo or reloads??? Either or both??? Being a gas operated
    system, they can require good cleaning occasionally. I sold mine to
    Shooter 4 and he just loves it. I hate to think how many thousands
    of rounds he has put through it since.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the mag tube release is out of time due to worn parts and levers in your trigger assy. its releasing too soon due to the shock of the first shot. in other words, its not releasing mechanically, its just jarring loose. when the bolt moves to the rear, it sets a series of releases into motion. one of them is worn. w/o it in front of me, i cant point it out, but basically, your trigger group(which is individually fitted to the gun) has worn parts. your trigger group housing is alloy. its been shot so much some of those surfaces most likely wore out causing parts to misalign. jimmy rig/ or chims seem to be the answer for that gun....sorry to say, buy a new one!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah, no.

Does the gun eject if operated manually?

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Factory Remington loads.

I haven't tried to manually cycle it. Since the barrel is the same cut as an 870, should I just put the pump barrel on and cycle it by hand?