In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Cleaning

Alex9987Alex9987 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
does anyone know of a link where i can go and find pointers for proper gun care and cleaning?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Experts.....What's the best powder solvent to use on a nickel-plated revolver? I believe one without ammonia would be the safest to use, yes? Thanks.....BT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hi, this may sound like an odd question, does anyone know if lacquer thinner will harm blueing? okay, here's why i'm asking...I just bought a bar (belgium, with no triger pins)and the owner had the scrolling gold filled. i'm guessing that was covered with something like lacquer. the bolt-which i don't think is easily removeable-looks like it may have gotten some on it and has turned brownish, almost nicotine stained looking. i tried a couple of standard cleaners with q-tips, it hasn't come off. the owner said lacquer thinner would work. is that okay to use for this? thanks for any help!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Relatively new to guns and wanted some advice on cleaning. I have a CZ-75b and a Savage 10 .308 thus far and have been using common sense to clean them. Im pretty sure its working fine but I feel like a nice video or guide would help me take the cleaning to a new level.

Do any of you know of a good resource for information on the subject? Not many people I know shoot so the best solution, a mentor, is sadly not a viable option. I have dug around the net for quite a while and not found fantastic info. Thanks for the help, me and my guns appreciate it!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I clean my guns I use nitro solvent on the bore and wipe dry with a clean patch. Should I be running a second patch through with a light coat of oil? I've never done this and haven't had any problems with rust, but I also don't want that to become a problem. Is the protocol different for something like a .22 pistol versus a shotgun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm in a fairly rural community. I have a small "Toy room" out behind my house where I house one or two firearms, reload, and general tinkering. Some of the local rednecks like to hang out with me at times and just happen to have their old Remington with them for a "by the way...would you mind" type of deal. For the most part I charge nothing for cleaning ole Toms shotgun but with the price of cleaning equipment, brushes,cleaners or what have you, I cant just keep doing this for nothing. Bearing in mind I don't have a business, don't advertise, or any of the sort. But if I ask for a "Donation" and you were in my boots, just what would you ask just for a typical and sometimes a through cleaning?

I apologize for such a long statement for a simple question, but had to set the atmosphere....Billy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Mossberg Training Rifle that was made for the Army in l931. A friend looked it and said the barrel was leaded. For as old as it is, it is in excellent shape. Can someone please tell me how to remove the lead from the barrel? Can this gun be shot with the lead in it and still be accurate or would the lead need to be removed? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After shooting my Berreta 92 today, was cleaning it and used the birchwood casey barricade cloths to wipe it down. These are saturated with rust preventative and i noticed it soaked into the metal rather quickly. These newer alloy Berreta's are not like the steel ones.
    I suppose this is O.K. for the finish ? I am thinking the silicone cloth's may be better ? They are not messy anyways.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is best way to clean older guns that have a little rust etc?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    New member w/ 2 posts. My question is on gun cleaning. A couple of friends suggested two different products: 556 Breakfree and PB Blaster. Any suggestions would be helpful to a novice. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know that this is remedial, but what is the best way to get the grease off of a gun, and out of the barrel?[?] Should anything be done to the wood?
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Break Free, and Butchs' Bore Shine as a finisher. There are so many different methods to go about this (about everyone in this forum likely has a slightly different approach) but there are some hard and fast rules. Clean from the reciever end if possible, and if not, get a brass muzzle guide to avoid damaging the crown. When shooting corrosive primed ammo, first clean with a brush and hot, soapy water, then clean and oil normally. Most solvents DO NOT break down the ammonium salts and will cause rusting and eventually pitting. Use a coated stainless steel rod (or non-marring non-imbedding)of the correct diameter. Avoid Stainless steel brushes except in the direst of circumstances! Use brass jags etc. Use a light across the bore to determine if there is copper fouling and if so, use ammonia, or a suitable copper solvent to attack it. I couild go on ad nauseum. Perhaps you might want to check the NRA website? NoNonesense CoModerator on this forum could likely set you up with a link or two as well!
  • Options
    reapingdayreapingday Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, very important to clean from reciever end to muzzle. Damaging the muzzle with scratches or dents from cleaning muzzle end first can effect the accuracy of the weapon, and if you ever want to sell the gun, an experienced gun owner and buyer will look for things like that right off the bat. I know that's one of the first things I look for when buying a used firearm, so it is important to practice a very thorough and correct process when cleaning the firearm if you want it to retain some value.