In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45/70

jdolso1jdolso1 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking into buying my wife a Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45/70. Does anyone know what kind of recoil it has? I have a Marlin 38/55 Cowboy that has no kick to it all. The 45/70 is a little heaver and a little longer. So I'm thinking it will kick a little more but not to much. I'm thinking 300-350gr. The 1895 Cowboy weighs 8.0lbs.

Comments

• Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All depends on what loads you use. Cowboy loads: no kick. Buffalo Bore loads: lots of kick.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have al ong barrel on that Marlin, so it will likely wring the most out of any given load possible; in other words, low pressure loads will still be stepping along nicely compared to say a Guide Gun. 8 pounds will really help to mitigate the recoil, and as mentioned, if you use cowboy loads, or roll your own using BP substitutes the recoil should be manageable for most.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've shot a Marlin 45-70 for 20 years, I've owned a Cowboy with 26" barrel for 5 years, great rifle. I shoot 46gr H4895 and 350 gr Lazer Cast for normal shooting, about 1400 fps, good deer load and good for just shooting, recoil is not bad at all. For elk I shoot 59gr H4895 and a 350gr sjrn Speer at 2060 fps, and it ain't no fun, even with a decellerator pad. But, it's the only rifle I've owned that will knock an elk off it's feet with one shot, and it holds 10 rounds with one in the pipe. I also own a 38-55 in a model 93 Marlin, built in 1907, I shoot a 250gr lead bullet over 32gr H4895, wich is about like shooting the 45-70 with the lighter loads. Hope this helps.
    W,D.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All depends on what you are doing. If you are just punching paper, and using cowboy loads, it will be mild. I have shot one of those with the factory 300 gr JHP, and the 405 SP loads for hunting, and it was really stiff, compared to my 1886 takedown remake, and my 74 sharps copy. It is also quite a bit lighter weight wise.
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great gun! Love the octagon barrel, and they have nice wood. Had one for a few years, just used it as a paper-puncher and never put any Buffalo Bore loads thru it. Recoil was @ like a 30-30, accuracy was exceptional with iron sights....drive tacks at 50 yards. I used the 405gr remington fodder with great results.
    One thing I noticed on this gun is that you have to shuck the lever pretty stiffly to make it cycle right. Stiff action and a big cartridge I guess, but loved it other than that.
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hornady leverlution 325grain kick like a mule. Even with the limbsaver, and would likely give a woman a dummy cut. If scoped.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    -The 45-70 has a pretty good kick using factory hunting loads. Cowboy loads are milder.

However, heavy recoil is manageable if, (once again), the rifle fits the shooter! If the rifle doesn't fit the shooter properly, shooting the gun will be uncomfortable. This may mean that the stock has to be cut down to fit the shooter. If the gun fits, even a ten-year-old will be able to handle the heavy loads.

Make sure she learns to hold the rifle correctly: Place the butt in the correct spot, the "padded" little pocket right next to her shoulder joint. Right handers extend the right elbow all the way up, perpendicular to the rifle, left elbow pushed to the right, under the rifle.

If she will be Cowboy Action Shooting with this gun, the same rules apply, because it will be important for her speed and accuracy for her to shoulder the weapon correctly and for it to properly fit. The stiff action should be addressed by a compentent CAS gunsmith. (There are plenty of them that are not.)

Same thing if she is hunting with the rifle. It has to fit.
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 1895 45-70 with a 22" barrel and will be in the woods in the morn with it after a 600#+ black bear here in Pennsylvania. I'm stuffing 60.0gr of H335 behind a 350gr round nose and to sight the rifle in it took several trips to the range as I could manage only 5 shots at a time. once it was zerod in it is moa at 100yds with ghost ring sights. All my shots at this bear will be under 100yds. I'm going to teach that bear that he shouldn't have raided my freezer this spring![:D]
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1895 Camp Gun in 45.70 - very short barrel and light compared to the longer barreled version. Recoil's not much of a problem with most loads although I have to say Marlin doesn't exactly help us with their recoil pad. I added a Limbsaver and it's much better.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With regard to hissinggoose's need to 'shuck the lever pretty stiffly'. Unless you have other problems, I find it is the nature of the Marlin. All of my Marlin levers (22 through 45) require force until you hit the stop of forward lever movement. Is it Marlin's ejection design ? I dunno, but it has always worked for mine.