In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope Mounted Winchester Model 42 Value?

nothingnessnothingness Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys,
I have a 1962 Winchester model 42 and am curious in its value..
The sad part is it has been drilled and tapped for a Weaver K1 scope. I believe this was probably done around the time the original owner purchased the gun sometime in the 1960s.

Just curious on how much it dropped in value due to the mounted scope.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a first for me, a scoped 42[|)] ,,,Put it up for auction with 1.00 start and see,,,thats the best way..nambu
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At a minimum, the value has dropped by at least 70%. Winchester collectors absolutely abhor a altered/butchered gun, and yours falls into that category. If it were un-altered (i.e. 100% factory original), it would have been worth somewhere in the $1000 - $2500 range (depending upon the graded condition, and its specific features). In its present state, it is worth the sum total of its unaltered parts. As a "whole gun", you might get $300 - $500 for it. Parted out (and I am not recommending that you do so), it might be worth $750+.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't add to what Bert said; except take the scope off, plug the holes, and enjoy a great little gun! You really can't hurt the value much more than has already been done!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Mod. 42 but with a Simmons rib. Put on probably 35 years ago along with a white line recoil pad. Scared to ask but what might the value be? Exc. Con'dt. if that matters! Thanks
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello nothingness, welcome to the forum! Well what it's worth, and what it might sell for are two different things!!

The Md 42 in the 60s could be bought in at least 8 different configuartions!! From just a plain round barrel, with field grde stocks, to some very nice show pieces, with factory vent ribs, engraving and checkered or carved wood. Barrel lengths of 26 or 28 in. with a Full, Mod., Imp/Cyl. or skeet choke.

Even though your gun has been modified with the sight, doesn't mean it's worthless. Condition of the metal, wood, style, all needs to be known.

Bert is correct in the fact it has a whole lot of value in "just parts". the last plain round barrel I saw that sold, $500 plus!!

"Junker Md 42s ones that have seen lots of field time, can bring from $900-$1200 if marketed correctly.

Without knowing exactly what grade/style of Md 42 you have, I can't put a reasonable price on it. Provide the following, barrel length, plain round, slim possibilty it might have a solid rib, or vent rib, choke, style of stocks, plain field grade walnut or?

I could fill a page with what I've seen sell, as guns, and or parts. 42s are special, regardless of condition, style/grade, etc.

Get back with all the detail you can!! Chances are you just have a plain old field gun, but I don't know. Get back to us with the info!!!

Regards Dave
  • Options
    nothingnessnothingness Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, thanks for all the info!

A little more info on the gun.

MOD is stamped on the barrel. No vent rib or such.., Has a plain walnut stock and the forend has 14 grooves.

Barrel length is I think around 26 inches. I don't have a decent tape measure and had to rig 1 up.

Overall condition is decent..Maybe around 85-90%.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I'm adding injury to insult but I also have a 3" 12 ga. and a 20 ga. both of which I also had Simmons install ribs on at least 35 years ago. They called it their "Delux Blue" with boat shaped posts on rib. All are std. field grade with no frills other than my add ons #@* who'd of thought! At any rate the 42 has a 26" full chk. brl. ser # 88---, 3" has 30" full ser # 1628--- and the 20 ga has a 28" full brl ser # L 280---. Thanks again for your time and expertise.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank-you nothingness: well it sounds like you have a standard field gun , plain barrel, Mod. choke, 26in barrel, in about 85-90%.

I could sell that gun, for $1000 without any problem. It's value in parts, about $1400-$1600.

It's a "shooter" that you can't hurt anymore by shooting it in the field or the range.

side note: depending on exactly how it was drilled and tapped, that too, might be fixable. But it would require reblueing the receiver too, so the cost is not justified, just make it "look better".

You can do a "Smart search" here and see what Md 42s have been selling for in the last 90 days. I watch every 42 that's listed here, I'm always amazed at what people are willing to spend on them.

Regards Dave