In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COLT 1911 VALUE

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
bought a gun from a guy who inherited a house and found this colt 1911 in it. brought it in to have it cleaned up and offered to sell it cheap so i bought it. it is very rough finish probaly 20-30 percent gone. the stamping on hte side where it said "property of us governmaent is nearly all filed off but still legible. everything else is all original. gun was made in 1917 by colt. like i said it is in rough shape but is a good shooter and it came with 6 mags. someone must have been worried about the us property stamp for some reason to file it off? any ballpark figures on what this gun is worth?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt 1911 Commercial Model, part of the British Contract(45ACP not 455)Serial C287xx made in 1916. With two of the 2toned mags,bore is very good,overall 80-90%. How much would it be worth?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Recently came across colt 1911 model while cleaning out a basement,
    serial numbers say produced 1915-1918.
    Functionally pistol is superb unfortunately almost all finish gone covered in a fine rust with little pitting.
    Any idea what it could be worth the homeowner that I found it at is curious of its value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking into picking this gun up in a trade was wondering what its value is....this is the info i have
    Commerical Colt 1911 made in 1915.
    Factory 2 tone mag.
    Bomar sights.
    Trigger may not be original but from the era.
    Barrel has the last 3 digits of the serial #.
    Letter from Colt for the historical aspect.
    These are the pictures i have:

DSC03425.jpg

DSC03426.jpg

DSC03427.jpg

DSC03428.jpg

DSC03429.jpg

DSC03430.jpg
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If the serial number has not been defaced or altered Then it is legal to own if however the serial shows signs of file or grind marks Then I would strip off all parts and either buy a legal frame or sell the parts The likely-hood of the inside parts been very good condition is slim to none but vintage 1911 parts are worth good money if excellent condition. A barrel with H P in the chamber area. with bright bore is worth $250.00 + . Pictures are a must to give any kind of value that is not a WAG.