In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best quality

sfettysfetty Member Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
What are your opinions on the best quality deer rifle on the market in the $500 - $900 range? Remington vs Savage vs Sako vs Winchester vs Browning etc. Thankyou in advance for all of your opinions![:)]

Comments

• MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage. Get the Classic and you end up with really nice bluing and nice wood. If looks aren't important just get the synthetic version. For nice wood, the Browning beats all, but I don't think it holds a candle to the Savage in accuaracy.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the higher end of that price range I'd look for a nice, used, older Sako. If you like the style you won't find anything more accurate or better build. That said, in new rifles, I'd take a hard look at the Ruger Hawkeye. There best effort yet, IMHO, though it seems folks around here are down on the Ruger 77. Hasn't been my experience. Like the man always says, "your mileage may vary".
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I couldn't be happier with my Ruger Model 77 which came in around $900 with Swift scope sling and 2 boxes of shells.
  • MikeinMikein Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd sure recommend a Savage. I own one of each of the candidates on your list, and I'd still go with a new Savage. They are price performers like nothing I've ever seen in this day and age of mass produced firearms! Out of the box accuracy just continues to * away, every time I buy one. ( I have a new Model 25 on order, in .204 Ruger). Check 'em out at SavageArms.com

Mike
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    For that price rage I would look at a Savage and a Tikka. Both are great shooters and very accurate and both of them also have great triggers. The rest of the bunch can not hold up to the accuracy of these two.
  • helimanheliman Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My personal preference is a single shot. I prefer a Ruger #1-A light sporter. If you shop around you can pick one up for under $900, scope included. Again this is my preference. If I had to go with a bolt gun it would probably be a Tikka T3 Hunter.
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a savage classic took it over a browning and remmy. took the money saved used it on glass. the classic was and still is the best gun purchased i have done.
  • cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    watch Gun Broker and buy yourself a mod 70 30-06 in sporter or supergrade with the Boss, get the conventional recoil as well as the brake-weight which is very loud. Bite the bullet and treat yourself with a Leupold 4.5x14-40mm with varmint reticle and side focus AO along with the one piece base and 30mm rings,lap the rings to the scope,tune her up with 165gr premium bullets and you will have more fun than the law allows! Your gun will perform as well if not better than $3000.00 custom rigs. If you take care of it it will appreciate in value.My 2c,only accurate one holers are interesting very best
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I prefer the CZ's but out of all you mention the Savage will be the most accurate out of the box, and most likely the least expensive.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    weatherbee vanguard might be another option I have one that will shoot right with my savage
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Encore with a 30-06 barrel and a 3X9 Burris Signture scope in Burris signature rings. You will have enough left over to buy a 44 mag barrel to plink with.
  • toolsforfoolstoolsforfools Member Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a nice 1903 remington 30-06 sporterized.Very nice gun for the money and most were made very nice.It is dead on.I put a burris scope on it.Nice classic!Check them out.