In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iron Eyes Cody SAA Authentication

sammansamman Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have the opportunity to purchase a well-worn but documented factory engraved Colt SAA made in 1883. The Colt is said to have belonged to Iron Eyes Cody(died 1999) and there is some autographed memorabilia included...however there is really no evidence he actually owned this Colt. Now here is where I need your help. Does anybody have any information regarding the sale or auction of his collection? I believe he had a museum possibly called the Moosehead Museum.
Thanks,
Samman

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If none of our members has any input, re Cody. You might try GOOGLEING him, to see what information you can turn up.
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at it this way, none of us (GBers)has a chance to buy it GO for it. Could be the best buy you will ever make.Eddie
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if this helps:

http://nativenet.uthscsa.edu/archive/nl/9401/0295.html

I enjoyed the commercial of course. Just as trivia, he was 1st a generation Italian who changed his name to get into show business. I think it's interesting that one of the better commercials (for a good cause) probably could not be made in the same way today. Then again, Chief Dan George would have been a great choice also.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    Don't know if this helps:

http://nativenet.uthscsa.edu/archive/nl/9401/0295.html

I enjoyed the commercial of course. Just as trivia, he was 1st a generation Italian who changed his name to get into show business. I think it's interesting that one of the better commercials (for a good cause) probably could not be made in the same way today. Then again, Chief Dan George would have been a great choice also.

He was originally known as "Iron Eyes Capone". [;)]

Seriously, "Iron Eyes Cody was born Espera DeCorti, the son of two first-generation immigrants from Italy. In 1924 he moved to California, changed his name - already shortened from "DeCorti" to "Corti" - to Cody, and started working as an actor, presenting himself as a Native American. He married an Indian woman, Bertha Parker, and together they adopted two Indian sons. Iron Eyes Cody lived and worked as an Indian for all his adult life; he labored for decades to promote Native American causes, and was honored by Hollywood's Native American community in 1995 for his efforts."

He died in 1999 at age 92.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO a factory engraved 1883 COLT would be 5 figure pistol in its own right would this be a good buy only the price it is offered to you would be the answer . In other words it the offered price is what the pistol alone with out proof of owner ship by some one of fame then go for it and enjoy If the pistol has a story with it don't pay for the story unless it has proof it should be up to the seller. I have been trying to research an Anisworth Colt that was recovered from a robber in 1889 by a famous person. This person left his personal papers to Georgetown UNV. I however have not been able to gain access to his papers .Maybe when I retire I will enroll at Georgetown as a student and go look . Just like your story if you can later prove it that will be iceing on the cake meantime you still have a great pistol .
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion the real value of this Single Action would be based on its age and configuration. You would need a Colt Factory Letter documenting that it was factory engraved and is still in the same configuration that it left Colt in 1883. If you can find documentation that Iron Eyes Cody owned this Colt at one time it would enhance the value, but the greater percentage of the value would be in the originality and condition of a factory engraved 1883 Single Action.

So, I'd make my purchase decision based on the real collector value of the Colt and the current asking price.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    If none of our members has any input, re Cody. You might try GOOGLEING him, to see what information you can turn up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your ideas. If you hear of sale of his collection please let me know.
    Samman