In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington model 700, 222 remington magnum

tbelltbell Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I bought a bolt action remington model 700 222 rem magnum from a friend of mine. The gun is in good shape but of course the ammo is not made now so I have had to have it special ordered. My question is: can the rifle be bored to another current caliber like a 223? If so, could it be done relatively cheaply, and does anyone know a good gunsmith in Atlanta that could do it. It also will not eject the spent cartridges properly.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A .222 Magnum cannot be simply rechambered to .223, the chamber is already longer. Of course the barrel could be replaced but that would not be done cheaply. It could be set back, faced off in a lathe, and rechambered for junk ammunition; I don't know how much that would cost, but it would be less than a new barrel.

Sometimes a target shooter will take the ejector out of a Remington action or shorten its spring so valuable empties are not thrown away. Or the case mouth could be hitting the scope and bouncing back into the action. Or the ejector could have been driven back and stuck by an overload.

Sorry I don't know a gunsmith in that area.

Better to have looked before you leaped.
  • Options
    tbelltbell Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought it for $50. Thanks for your reply!

/dOriginally posted by Hawk Carse
    A .222 Magnum cannot be simply rechambered to .223, the chamber is already longer. Of course the barrel could be replaced but that would not be done cheaply. It could be set back, faced off in a lathe, and rechambered for junk ammunition; I don't know how much that would cost, but it would be less than a new barrel.

Sometimes a target shooter will take the ejector out of a Remington action or shorten its spring so valuable empties are not thrown away. Or the case mouth could be hitting the scope and bouncing back into the action. Or the ejector could have been driven back and stuck by an overload.

Sorry I don't know a gunsmith in that area.

Better to have looked before you leaped.
    [/quote]
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At that price you could have it rebarreled and still make out like a bandit. I can't tell you how much I charge, or what it should be. I will tell you you can have a NICE job done and still come out cheaper than a good used 700. If you don't want to make a shooter sell it here. They are a collector and sell for high $.

Lance
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    keep it as it is ,it,s more valuable in the 222mag., what ever is wrong with it can be repaired very cheaply. eastbank.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastbank
    keep it as it is ,it,s more valuable in the 222mag., what ever is wrong with it can be repaired very cheaply. eastbank.
    AGREED!!! Get the ejector fixed and sell it on Gunbroker. It will bring a good price,,,imo,,,nambu
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I think Hawk Carse has it right. I said the rifle will not eject. Will it extract? The ejector could have been disabled so the rifle just leaves the fired case in the action for easy recovery. Second comment. Don't convert it from 222 Remington Magnum! Is is worth more than other calibers because people are looking for them...I agree put it on gunbroker. It should bring a fair price. My friend just sold a Rem 700 in 222 Rem Magnum for $700. Or keep it buy some brass and reload. It is a great varmint round!!
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Set yourself up to reload after you get the exractor fixed I think you'll love the 222 magnum