In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

best spotting scope for $ 150 or under

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
looking for a spotting scope that will let me see 22cal holes at 100yds. out of the cheaper spotters who makes the clearest one? thanks

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushnell or Eagle Optics Denali, but I don't think either is under $150.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might look on the internet auctions for a Bausch & Lomb Sr 60 in 20X. These were great scopes. Even though out of production for many years a good one will spot the .22 holes at 100 yards. Of course light is always a factor in seeing bullet holes.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I can see .22 holes at 100 from my NC Star. Clearly if sunny, as specks if cloudy. I can see 30 cal holes at 200.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    It will be tough to get much for $150. The problem with them is clarity and a lack of good light-gathering capability. It has to be mid-day or close to it to get the best performance from these things. I bought a Barska from a sporting goods store (20-60X, short tripod, hard case, soft case, carry strap) for $99.00. I find it difficult to use for the reasons noted, so I don't use it. I should have known better than to buy the Barska and I can't imagine any of the other scopes in this price range being any better.

Right now I'm looking at high end scopes starting with Leupold and going up to Ziess and others. I had forgotten that years ago, I went shopping for a pair of binoculars for some offshore work for my company. I tested about ten or twelve different pair of pretty decent binoculars and the Zeiss glasses were the obvious choice. Getting back to reality, however, today, the Zeiss spotting scopes hover around $1500 and the Leupold scopes are about one-fourth that price, or about $400.
  • Options
    MikeinMikein Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ddhotbot,

I'm using a 15-45X made by Yukon Advanced Optics. It works quite well and will definitely allow you to see .22 cal. holes at 100 yards for under $150.