In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 Rem "Rate of Twist" - Help With Question

MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm shopping for a varmint rifle and leaning towards the Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in .223 Rem.

The Technical Data indicates than in this calibre the rifle is available with either a 8 in. or 12 in. "rate of twist". http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/T3VarmintStainless.pdf

Why would it be available with 2 different twist rates and what might the advantage or disadvantage be of one or the other?

Thanks in advance for any offers of clarification.

Comments

• Options
    InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to stabilize heavier bullets you need a faster rate of twist, thats what the 1 in 8" twist would be for. the 1 in 8" twist would be good if you are shooting 60+ grain bullets. the 1 in 12" twist is for shooting light varmit bullets.
  • Options
    scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi and welcome,
    The rate of twist determines the maximum weight of bullet you can shot accurately. In general the slower the rate of twist the lighter the bullet you can shot. The 12 in 1 twist can only stabilize bullets up to 55 grains. The faster 8 to 1 twist can stabilize nearly all weight of bullets. Some would argue the 8 to 1 may overstabilize lighter bullets with a decrease in accuracy. The fast twist may speed some lightly jacketed bullet so fast they spin apart. Regards.
    Scubabobf
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The faster 1 in 8 twist should work with everything from 55 grain to 75 grain. The slower twist is better for 35 grain to 55 grain. It all depends what you want to do. The lighter bullets will shoot flatter at distances to 300-400 yards, then it is game over. The heavier bullets have a higher ballistic coefficient, and will give good accuracy to 600+ yards.

Best
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Marner I would stick with the 1-12 twist.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the insight. It's much appreciated.

I don't expect I'll be taking many shots out beyond 200 yrds.... 300 at most and the lighter bullets would likely best suit my purpose. So it seems the slower rate of twist is my best choice.

Thanks again
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marner,

I would go with the 1-8" twist. You won't overstabilize light bullets unless you try to shoot really long range with them. You won't be able to stabilize heavy bullets in a 1-12". Meaning, with a 1-12" you will just be able to stabilize a 60 gr. bullet. And that is only when you push them hard. If you go with the 1-8" you could stabilize up to a 77 gr. bullet.

For years and years the 'ol 'tried-and-true' mentality prevailed in shooting, particularly barrel twists. Since we've adopted heavier bullets the need has arisen to take a look at not just the .223 caliber but all calibers. And start duplicating what some European countries have been successful with for over 100 years.
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1, what SW said.

200-300 yards is not excessive for a 223 varmint rifle, lighter or heavier bullets. The 1-8" twist will let you shoot heavier bullets, less affected by wind, more effect on the critter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It becomes obvious that it's not a decision to be taken lightly. I'm certainly glad I asked [:)] As I reflect further, keeping open the option for a heavier bullet may be a good idea.

Again thanks to all for the help.