In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Greek 30-06

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've reached the point where I am going to shoot some of my closet queens. One is a Garand I got from DCM in the 80's

I just ordered some ammo from the ODCMP described as Greek, boxer primed, non-corrosive,headstamped HX62 - HX80, and attracts magnets.

According to the website they say 5 to 15% may be unusable. Does anyone else have experience with this ammo?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll tell you all about it, just as soon as I jump through each and every hoop that God-forsaken organization is making me jump through....
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a few cans on clips and it was all excellent. It is hotter than USGI M2 ammo and did bend the GI op rod on my new production SA garand. That was only after one clip too. The rifle only had 56 rounds through it and had to be sent back for repair. It doesn't burn as clean as LC ammo either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rack Ops, I just joined an affilitated club, CRPA, faxed a copy of my membership card and passport/birth certificate and I was able to order.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Flying torpedo. Thanks, I check after firing a clip or two. I order a can with clips and a case without. It's about five cents difference per round.

They didn't have any LC, Greek was all they listed.
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Works good for me. Great price too.
  • Options
    riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a can last summer. IT IS HOT. Noticable difference from LC-69. Also, a lot of muzzle flash. On the plus side, it shot measurably tighter than LC-69. My "Garand Match" gun shot it into a group under 4" at 200 yards versus around 5~6" with LC-69. According to ODCMP there is no more LC. So what there is, is what there is. I'd buy more.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I cannot believe that it is hot- for two reasons.

First off, I am told that the US simply dismantled one of its plants- the Denver one I think- and shipped all the loading equipment to Greece. So it is made on US tools, to US specs. Can't verify that.

What I CAN verify is that they have issued this stuff now at Camp Perry for 2 years for the Garand match. 1300+ Garand shooters each shooting 30+ rounds and I didn't see ANYONE saying they had a ruined op rod. On an August day. When the temp was close to 100 degrees.

I certainly have never heard of any nonsense about 10-15% being unusable; a lot of match shooters would have been mighty peeved if that had been the case. If it bent the op rod on YOUR M1 and it was a new production gun, then I'd say the op rod wasn't in spec to begin with or you hit one freak round.

Just my experience; it is also my experience that it is more accurate than LC surplus out of all of my guns.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greek HXP '06 that's sold by the CMP does chronograph faster than the LC that they sold earlier. It also leaves the bore slightly dirtier than Lake City ammo. It usually groups better though; seems to have been loaded more consistantly than LC. Good ammo; the CMP sells it either in enbloc clips (good source for enblocs if you need them) or 20 round boxes.

The 5 to 15% that might have problems is due to corroded brass - sometimes severe (15%) but most of the time not at all. And it is easier to reload. The primers are crimped in so slightly that I do not need to remove that crimp before I reuse the empties.

Try it. You'll like it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by firstharmonic
    Greek HXP '06 that's sold by the CMP does chronograph faster than the LC that they sold earlier. It also leaves the bore slightly dirtier than Lake City ammo. It usually groups better though; seems to have been loaded more consistantly than LC. Good ammo; the CMP sells it either in enbloc clips (good source for enblocs if you need them) or 20 round boxes.

The 5 to 15% that might have problems is due to corroded brass - sometimes severe (15%) but most of the time not at all. And it is easier to reload. The primers are crimped in so slightly that I do not need to remove that crimp before I reuse the empties.

Try it. You'll like it.
    I feel a bit better with that clarification. [:)] I do agree that it burns dirtier but havnen't chronographed it so I can't speak to that.

I agree, get some.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I cannot believe that it is hot- for two reasons.

First off, I am told that the US simply dismantled one of its plants- the Denver one I think- and shipped all the loading equipment to Greece. So it is made on US tools, to US specs. Can't verify that.

What I CAN verify is that they have issued this stuff now at Camp Perry for 2 years for the Garand match. 1300+ Garand shooters each shooting 30+ rounds and I didn't see ANYONE saying they had a ruined op rod. On an August day. When the temp was close to 100 degrees.

I certainly have never heard of any nonsense about 10-15% being unusable; a lot of match shooters would have been mighty peeved if that had been the case. If it bent the op rod on YOUR M1 and it was a new production gun, then I'd say the op rod wasn't in spec to begin with or you hit one freak round.

Just my experience; it is also my experience that it is more accurate than LC surplus out of all of my guns.

I was going by a statement on their page.

http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm

I guess it is due to corroson.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just went through a can and had 4 that were corroded and did not want to shoot. Rest were fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by firstharmonic

Try it. You'll like it.

I ordered a can of 192 rds just for the enbloc clips. That should get me 24 enbloc.

I noticed by their shipping rates, you get a couple dollar break by ordering by cans for the ammo with en bloc then by the case.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Don't think CMP would sell any 30-06 that's too hot for gas operated USGI semi-autos without a big disclaimer.

Frankly, if out of spec pressure-wise, CMP wouldn't sell it [HXP] at all. Joe
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I think the more likely answer is that the LC they have been selling is slightly underloaded to get the 1919's that it was loaded and belted for to run slower.

The HXP is nice ammo, haven't seen a round I wouldn't shoot.